Club Soccer - LOL Chelsea

L E O

Apple / CBS / MLS couldn’t have written this better.

Mother F I had the champagne on ice. <Seinfeld clenched fist muttering “Messi.”>

Seems like a pretty tremendous % of the shootout penalties getting scored these last two games?

You’re watching elite talent in the best soccer league in the world, sir.

1st place!

Drop Dire and Royal and we stop conceding two goals a game. Weird.

1 Like

https://x.com/usmntonly/status/1695517188851896530?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Not even September and spurs out for one trophy

1 Like

Wrexham deeper than spurs

Interesting article placing the Saudi raiding in the history of international soccer leagues and even global politics:

LOL Group F

My wife has expressed interest in picking an EPL team to become fans of. Is there a guide to this sort of thing? We know a number of Liverpool fans here, and her cousin lives near the Arsenal stadium and has season tickets (and they went to a game when she was there for work a few months ago), and that’s about the extent of our personal connections.

Just root for Brighton. Young, exciting, up and coming team. Owned by a poker player / gambler and not oil money. Mitoma is a joy to watch.

Don’t root for Newcastle, City, United, Chelsea. Fine to root for Tottenham (lol), Arsenal, Pool. I’m rooting for Pool this season only because they added my favorite young player, Dominik Szoboszlai. Klopp is a hard leftie that plays an exciting, pressing style of football. They’re in a transition period with a lot of young faces.

City is going to absolutely steamroll the league though. Haaland is an unstoppable machine. Literally terminator.

1 Like

My two rooting interests are Crystal Palace and Nottingham Forest. I don’t recommend these choices.

Co-sign

Brighton are great, but we would have said the same about Southampton 12 years ago, Leicester 3-5 years ago etc. There is way more of a chance they are playing in the championship in 5 years than of them being a consistent top half club.

Id just recommend watching the “big” matchup every weekend. Last weekend it was arsenal v united. In two weeks its utd v brighton. Arsenal v spurs after that. Find the players/teams you enjoy, dont pick something you wont like 5 minutes later.

2 Likes

Messi just owning MLS because MLS sucks

https://x.com/meninblazers/status/1699964300687753710?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Masterclass in time wasting from
Sheffield today

3 years ago this game would have ended Sheffield 1 Tottenham 0

Suck it time wasters.

1 Like

vibe check for goofy about a month and a half into the season:

you can’t pick these teams but they’re good tier:
man city
newcastle

state owned by oil nations, city won everything last year, newcastle are owned by the saudis. grim off the field, really good on it.

worst vibes off the field: man utd

a year and a half ago the gf of their best young player posted pictures/audio of him beating her and attempting to rape her. they just shelved him for a year and tried to reintegrate him last month, but public outcry had them send him on loan.
they also have two other players in the same position with tenuous situations. one is also on leave for domestic abuse, cost them £100m last year, and isnt good anyway. the other cost £70m, has mental health issues and just seems broken. the club is feuding with the latter player. They’ve also lost 3/4 and have a ton of injuries.

good vibes, but for how long: Tottenham
they are recovering from a bunch of defensive coaches, now have a coach everyone loves and are playing well. But I don’t think they have a lot of talent and have ridden a lot of luck to get their results as of yet.

desperate but solid vibes:
Arsenal overachieved last year, riding the youngest team in the league to a title push that choked late with some injuries. Off the back of that the team is expected to do big things, but everyone knows they are 2nd/3rd best, so there is an uneasiness about them despite being undefeated.

Back from the edge? Liverpool

They’ve had a fantastic last better part of a decade. Won their first title in ~30 years. Won the champions league. But the team is old now, their summer was super strange with the Saudi league offering big money for some of their aging, largely past it players late but the best replacements were already at new teams by this point. So, they have a very makeshift midfield but a top offense.

It can’t get worse, can it? Chelsea

Of teams who didn’t get relegated, only Everton have fewer points in 2023 than Chelsea. They’ve spent over a billion dollars on players in the last year since their Russian oligarch owner was forced to sell bc of sanctions. They were bought by the Dodgers owner and he’s just throwing $ around on everyone. They’ve spent so, so much money and have 1 great young player.

1 Like