Club Soccer - LOL Chelsea

Thanks, this is super helpful! I feel like Arsenal is a natural pick since my wife’s cousin lives like a mile from their stadium.

I was also going to go full Bill Simmons and post NBA analogues for the teams but got lazy.

Arsenal are pretty fun right now. Last season was a blast. Really cool young team.

If you want a decent but not too crazy nerdy vids, the athletic has an off shoot called TIFO that has stuff on youtube.

Support Spurs. We need it.

What did you actually think of the weekend match? I thought it was truly a weird game.

And telling him to support Spurs is like telling him to be a Clippers fan.

It was weird. Happen to get a point and move on.

Banner day for US players

Pulisic goal
Musah almost wonder goal and solid match
Tillman goal, Pepi challenging a ball made it happen
Balogun goal and assist

1 Like

We randomly got a free year of Peacock through Comcast this week, so we got to watch Arsenal today. Fun match! I imagine they mostly don’t look this easy but they seem pretty likeable. My wife’s a sucker for babyface athletes (so, Saka) and she liked when they gave Havertz the penalty.

She also maybe wants to be a Liverpool fan though, because her sister’s husband is a huge Liverpool fan, and her cousin’s husband (the one who lives a mile from Emirates) is also a Liverpool fan, and while I’m like “why would you want to pick the same team the only other soccer fans we know already root for” she’s like “it would be great to all root for the same team!” so we’ll see. Arsenal has more Brazilians so I hope that helps sway it.

Last year most of the games were that easy. The problem was at the end of the year the defense fell apart through injuries and they have ~6 guys out right now so they have over corrected and leaned into fixing the defense and having more control vs the up and down games liverpool have.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal have similar expectations for this year and basically the same betting totals points wise.

But, Arsenal have all of their best players 25 and under while the 3 Pool stars are all 30+.

Who is ready for some CONCACAF Champions Cup?

Flipped this on live and immediately saw one of the most embarrassing own goals I’ve ever seen.

EDIT: Clip of the goal:

2 Likes

lol, whose fault is this between the defender & goalie? Kinda feel like they both fucked up a bit here but not an expert

95% the defender. The goalie can’t use his hands here without probably getting a red card and an indirect free kick so that’s why he looks like an idiot.

1. Blake, the GK, reads the ball terribly
  2. Law 12.1 specifically rules out a red or yellow card. Only sanction would have been an indirect free kick
1 Like

If so, the goalkeeper didn’t know that either given the flailing!

1 Like

Second leg of Saprissa - Philadelphia was wild.

First time at a European soccer match. Fun show so far.

4 Likes

Great stuff. Brøndby gives Midtjylland their first loss of the season. People walking home were happy.

Probably a good idea that I didn’t get Value Meal #1 for dinner.