College Football - Ruh Roh NCAA?

Guys they are the best teams ¯_(ツ)_/¯

That scenario is more likely to generate 2 SEC teams than 0 SEC teams.

They aren’t leaving out an undefeated p5 team

@eyebooger they aren’t picking georgia over bama, they aren’t picking bama over texas

They absolutely will.

In that scenario, it’s probably Mich/Wash/FSU/Alabama

But I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Mich/Wash/Alabama/Georgia

I now know what chaos scenario I’m cheering for. Probably even more fun if Oregon beats Washington too.

Said this last weekend. Still think this is right.

Washington/Oregon: Winner is in, loser is out
Florida St: Win and in, lose and out
Texas: Win and need 1+ of FSU/Michigan to lose
Alabama: Win and in, lose and out
Georgia: Win and in, lose and need 2+ of Michigan/Texas/FSU to lose
Michigan: Win and in, lose and need 2+ of Alabama/Texas/FSU to lose
Ohio St: Need all of Alabama/Texas/FSU to lose

1 Like

Oregon is going to expose UW.

I tend to agree, but Washington is banged up and I don’t think Penix is right. The line of about -10 implies something about Penix is more seriously hurt than widely known.

There’s nothing magical about an undefeated P5 champion. FSU strength of schedule is easily the worst of teams in contention for a playoff spot. The result is that their resume isn’t more impressive than Texas’s resume. They’re also essentially tied for last with Washington in team strength. As a corollary to that, I see people suggesting that somehow Georgia might get in with a loss. There’s no way it should ever happen given that their SoS isn’t much better than FSU’s by any metric.

Not really. Per Sagarin, FSU is 66, Georgia is 56, Michigan is 55, Oregon is 52.

Now do Texas.

That’s not relevant. You said FSU was easily worse than any other contender, it’s pretty comparable to three most likely to qualify teams.

Yes 66 is easily the worst of (52, 55, 56, 66). Case closed.

lol what is this 1999? bama has a better loss than texas, this hasn’t been a controversy for decades

1 Like

Those numbers are basically the same for practical purposes.

1 Like

legitimately cracked up at this, solid post

Totally possible. I’ve only watched their last couple of games and he was pretty bad in both of them but I don’t know what he was like before that. Still, if you look at UW and Oregon’s common opponents over the course of the season Oregon has outperformed UW pretty drastically.

They’re “basically the same” because Sagarin’s SOS is practically useless for this purpose. He just happens to get it right that FSU is either last or tied for last in team strength and strength of schedule (UGA arguably worse under some assumptions but that won’t be true after Saturday).

SOS should be divided into quartiles or quintiles. Really anything in a 10% window is similar. Hoops uses “quartile wins”.

Any and all games vs the low major or FCS teams should be thrown out entirely.

(I’d count playing an FCS team after October 1 as a negative). What total bullshit.

SoCon Saturday!!!