COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

Article bringing up another recent example of tensions between advocacy/patient led research groups and academic researchers in regard to long COVID

Obviously important to be aware of safety risks of any experimental intervention but also if the studies don’t get done then you can never know and people will just try exercise on their own as it makes sense intuitively to people as something that could help

Long COVID exercise trials proposed by NIH raise alarm

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00900-w

Not covid, but encouraging:

2 Likes

Incredibly encouraging. These RSV cases in babies/toddlers are awful.

That is so awesome. Science is incredible. I truly don’t understand how so many people would see this and be like “nope youre not jabbing me with that new world order soros funded 5g poison!”

Propaganda and comfort. One thing that has really stuck with me was from the early days of 538, when Nate had one guy who I’m pretty sure is long gone now talking to voters in every state in advance of the 2008 election. There was the household in rural PA where the guy stopped, and the wife came to the door, and he asked who they were voting for. She asked to her husband inside who hollered, “We’re voting for the n-word!” and she echoed happily, “We’re voting for the n-word.” The author quipped that racism was apparently a luxury good.

But, like, how fucking true! Amidst the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression, it was obvious to everyone that the Republicans had fucked up, and the responsible sounding Black guy, even though Black, should probably get control. But when times are good? Yeah, racism wins. For vaccines, we don’t have neighborhoods out there where many kids are dead or paralyzed from polio. People are way more willing to bury their parents than their kids, so yes, there were a lot of covid deaths, but those could be compartmentalized much better than something that kills the young. “One foot in the grave,” “We’re all going to die anyway,” “In a better place now,” etc.

Hopefully this RSV vaccine doesn’t become a tribal signature like the covid one was, but I also hope that RSV doesn’t get so bad that people are willing to go against their tribe because they’re terrified for their kids’ lives.

I’m not sure which one this trial was in, but I know MRNA has one pretty far along - could be shots in arms this year, next at the latest. I fully expect there to be tribal opposition to it because of the growth of anti-vaxxers. Any vaxx that wasn’t around in 2019, good luck getting through to them. We’re losing ground on vaccines we’ve had for decades.

Man, the anti-vaxxers aren’t going to care about the year, they’re going to reject any and all vaccines.

1 Like

There are plenty of then rejecting everything. But the stuff since the pandemic is what the normie anti-vaxxers are skeptical of. The ranks of full anti-vaxxers have grown, but the ranks of the ones questioning new tech have really surged.

I disagree, Republicans were skeptical of vaccines way back, they were a point of contention in the 2012 debates. None of these people know or care about the mRNA jazz, they’re just going to assume every vaccine has Bill Gates microchips, we’re going to see all kinds of crazy pediatric diseases come back.

Search “mRNA” and “messenger RNA” on Twitter.

Mask free in the hospital now! Not me ofc, but most everyone else.

shed the mask, be free

It is actually nice to see the faces of people at work who I’ve never seen without a mask on.

I have… thoughts about some of the patients I see that may come across on my face. I’ve grown accustomed to the mask helping me there.

I also haven’t really been sick with an upper respiratory thing for nearly three years. And that’s been nice. I’d like to keep it that way

Both of these are 100% factored in to my decision to still mask at work as well. Much easier to tell people to fuck off with my mask on.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the reason why I’m still wearing masks in grocery stores and public transportation.

1 Like

Good article about the Tennessee nurse who was one of the first people to receive the COVID vaccine, fainted afterwards (while being filmed), and thus instantly became a conspiracy target for anti-vaxxers who upended her life

1 Like

Evidence supporting low vaccine uptake as the primary reason

“Indeed, his paper found that the partisan gap in the deaths widened from April to December 2021, after all adults became eligible for Covid vaccines. Excess death rates in Florida and Ohio were 153% higher among Republicans than Democrats during that time, the paper showed.”

1 Like

Hundreds of thousands dead or injured because of fucking stupidity. It was so sad to see

1 Like
1 Like

Darn. Older adults means 65 and older. I was just shot down by my doctor’s office when asking about getting a second bi-valent booster. Apparently I’m fully vaccinated.