COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1666935886821588993?t=8-DEVFHYObyId_V0tEulwg&s=19

Seems like very little downside risk and could add significant protection. Especially since I’m overweight.

Was the pcr test you took a self administered one? Is it possible you are not swabbing your nose deeply enough and long enough?

Edit: nevermind. Good luck.

Prepare yourself for an ass taste ine your mouth and a covid rebound with the Paxlovid. Still think it’s the correct play to take it though.

some people pay a lot of money for that

1 Like

Metformin is one of those drugs that will frequently have this kind of study behind it that never pans out

PCR was in an urgent care, and they didn’t go very deep. When I swab myself I go pretty far up there, probably more than needed. Metallic taste is definitely annoying, but probably worth it. Apparently Pfizer is enrolling people in a study on a 10 day course of Paxlovid, so I may try to get into that and see if I can dodge the rebound.

Yeah but also pretty low risk here, like it’s not aspirin but it’s not Paxlovid either. I have seen some epidemiologists tweet that they’re taking it if they pozz, so it seemed worth a shot. I’m terrified of long COVID.

Damn, RIP Commonwealth. Try to drink plenty of fluids.

2 Likes

Hope you turn the corner quickly, @commonWealth. You made a hell of a good run on team Novid.

If the paxlovid taste is bothering you, try to get some hard candy to suck on.

2 Likes

Popsicles did a decent job for me.

Now that our 99th-percentile-for-COVID-precautions member has gotten it, time for a quick poll.

How many times have you had COVID, defined as a positive result on a rapid or PCR test?
  • 4 (?!?)
0 voters

I’m currently negative but my kid is coughing, vomiting, and had a fever so here we go!

2 as defined, but I almost certainly had a 3rd case when my kids pozzed and I was sick, but we didn’t bother testing me. That case ran like my other 2 bouts of covid: cold like symptoms, but for much less time than a cold usually lasts.

I caught it for the first time three weeks ago. Doctor said no paxlovid. It was one rough day and full recovery by day 5. Then I was sick again with something else a few hours later.
My wife and kid didn’t catch COVID from me. My 2 yo kid did not like my quarantine at all. He was so mad at me.

Pleasantly surprised to see so many zeroes. And here I thought I was special.

Yeah I suspect 3 for myself too. In March 2020, maybe ten days before the world closed down, I had a mystery illness involving about 36 hours of high fever and aches and pretty much no other symptoms, that cleared up pretty quick. Obviously no way to test at the time, was only vaguely even aware there was a pandemic brewing.

My two confirmed cases were all post-vax and 1st booster, and both obviously Omicron, basically one bad cold and one moderate one.

99th percentile process, 60th percentile results. Story of my life!

2 Likes

Rough, rough night last night. Fever hit at least 102, woke up having a little difficulty breathing and got pretty scared, coughing was a lot worse. Took some Advil and my fiancee basically kept testing my pulse ox in my sleep/daze. Never got below 95-96. Woke up again in the middle of the night in a pool of sweat, then today I’ve been light headed and dizzy off and on but breathing fine and pulse ox has hit 99 despite a cough. Hopefully that was the worst of it, got pretty scary.

At one point while laying down, my heartrate was 111-119, with a pulse ox of 95-96. To see that down to the low 70s with a pulse ox today at 97-99 was a relief.

Pounding fluids almost non stop, pissing constantly, still feel dehydrated. Could just be Paxlovid mouth I guess.

Going to try fla-vor ice, if that doesn’t do it I’ll try some hard candy. I’ve found that savory flavors seem to override the Paxlovid flavor better than anything else. The Costco frozen Ramen (highly recommend btw, reasonably healthy and delicious) tasted almost normal.

HR goes up with fevers fwiw

1 Like

thats my resting heart rate normally