COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

I just tested negative, which is nice. Today would also be Day #5 if the positive test counts as #1 (or is it supposed to be Day 0 when you pozz?), and it’d be more than that if we count from symptoms. I will re enter the world tomorrow. Still an occasional cough going but if this is anything like when I catch other viruses, that could take a month to lose.

1 Like

Day 0 is when symptoms start

1 Like

My med-mal knowledge (admittedly not an expert, but I’ve had some involvement), leads me to believe, based on what you just posted, that they are fucked and this is definitely a case of FAFO.

I’m just going to warn you, based on my experience with paxlovid , that you should continue testing if you are really trying to be careful. I tested negative on Day 5, and Day 6, and then tested positive the evening of Day 7, and did the whole fucking thing over again.

Like fever, chills, coughing, etc all over again? Or just testing positive for another five days or so?

It’s not that it’s good for older folks, but paxlovid does interact with a fuckton of medications, so that might be precluding her.

Like the whole fucking thing over again. Almost exactly the same (maybe only 90 percent as severe, I don’ tknow, it wa shard to tell. I was pretty fucking sick both times).

Ugh I really hope this doesn’t go that route.

She got the pax the first time around, who knows. Fun times.

This new variant looks not great.

Will this shot cover the new variant or is it only for uhhh whatever came after omicron but not this current one? I know they can be pretty fast with making changes to it, but seems unlikely?

From what I can see, the new vaccine will target the XBB variant, which is a descendant of Omicron, as are the new variants that we’re seeing reporting on.

I’m not an expert, but I’m hopeful that the new vaccine will still work reasonably well, at least to prevent serious illness, on the newer variants as well as the targeted XBB.

1 Like

Pfizer and Moderna say the new shots will hold up well against Eris (EG.5), but I’m not sure they know much about how they’ll do against Pirola (BA.2.86). Eris is an XBB offshoot, but Pirola has ~30 mutations on the spike relative to the XBB variant the shots are based on.

But they updated boosters will almost certainly be better against Pirola than the bivalent boosters would have been.

1 Like

man I’m really torn between waiting til the updated vax or getting a booster now and the updated one in 6 mos or whatever. I really don’t want to get this. It hasn’t hit my area yet

https://x.com/shamscharania/status/1695211386865848804?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Damn how do you not catch a congenital heart defect when your dad is worth north of a billion. Is it really hard to find/diagnose until something bad happens?

Depends on the defect but yeah

2 Likes

Even still, if your kid is an elite athlete and you can afford it a million times over, there’s not a comprehensive heart checkup that can be done to detect whatever Bronny had? But then you can find the cause relatively quickly after a heart attack? Just a little surprising, if I had LeBron money I would def splurge on a state of the art grossly overpriced health checkup.

I’m not aware of the exact defect he had, so it’s hard to know for sure. I just know that it’s possible to miss that kind of stuff.

Also generally it’s dumb to get unnecessary screening tests and whatnot. Pretest probability matters, and the Kim kardashian whole body scan things are a bad idea for anyone

1 Like