COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

I just came back home from getting the COVID and flu vax.

3 Likes

https://x.com/MrT/status/1707487247119835456?s=20

7 Likes

Mr. T pities the unvaxxed fools who died of Covid.

https://x.com/meetjess/status/1707450047166665106?s=46

It’s just the flu

1 Like

Not sure if you saying that sarcastically or not but cardiac/thrombotic events long known to be associated with influenza and if you Google influenza coronary arteries you going to see similar stuff spanning decades

I was not aware of that. Thank you. I was just trying to be sarcastic to the minimize COVID sentiments.

I’m not sure I “love” my insurance, but given the horror stories I hear from other people I consider myself very lucky. Anthem BC PPO in California. It costs an arm and a leg but we’ve had very few issues over a long period of time and a ton of medical care.

I sincerely love my insurance. It’s completely paid by my employer, and I pay 5 dollars per script and nothing else. I also have a whole secondary insurance if I want to get care outside of my hospital that’s nearly as good

It’s uh… not indicative of the rest of the country and as a doc I get all sorts of leeway and ways around barriers that others don’t.

I’m pretty sure I did this last year, and I’m an idiot. I sleep on my side, get vaccines in each arm. Fucking dumb. Don’t feel so great today but got Tdap, flu and covid so pick one of the 5 things I just got vaccinated for (more if you count various strains)

I have some guesses, but anything you’re willing to share about how you get around barriers and what some of the fringe benefits are? With a fiancee going into nursing I’m guessing we’ll have some of that, but probably to a lesser degree.

I remember someone on the forum saying it, so you probably did.

Lots of things:

1. As an ER doctor, I call and refer people to everyone around the hospital. They all know me. Remember how you had some friend who worked at a pizza place or fast food shop or bar and you could get special treatment? Yeah that kind of applies
  2. I know how to talk to a doctor to get exactly what I need, big part of my job.
  3. While my specialty requires a deep understanding of resuscitation and a few other things, it also requires some familiarity with lots of things, so I know when I need something.

Finally, if it comes to it, I can write my own prescriptions and consults if I want.

1 Like

Yeah I figured one of the big things was going to be doctors trusting each other to write prescriptions for stuff without actually having an appointment and paying for it, up to a degree. Like maybe not stuff with the potential for abuse, but I would guess you didn’t need to go see another doc to get antibiotics or Paxlovid or stuff like that - saving a copay (on most people’s insurance) and like an hour of time is awesome. I also assume doctors are low key prescribing each other designer drugs/smart drugs in a lot of cases, which I don’t really have a problem with but is an awesome benefit.

Yeah that definitely happens, especially right now with the weight loss drugs

1 Like

IMG_0256

Ha I’ve written my own prescription once, for antibiotics when I had diverticulitis.

Doctors are on average pretty paranoid. These days almost no doctors are going to prescribe for someone outside of a bona fide patient encounter except for maybe themselves/spouse/kid. People do it but it’s pretty rare now. Even immediate family and self is generally regarded as sketchy. I’ve done it once when the urgent care told me what antibiotic they were prescribing for me but the rx didn’t make to pharmacy.

I’ve heard this before from Doctor friends, and it always seems crazy to me.

Antibiotics for…DiverTicultiS.

Got it

Sorry gotta keep dragging the joke out

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’d think it would be the opposite - that prescribing for one’s self or close family/friends would look worse than doctors writing each other prescriptions for non-serious stuff, like antibiotics or allergy meds or whatever - stuff with no potential for abuse and no reason to ask for other than actually needing it.