COVID-19: Year 4 - You down with JN.1?

I may have worded that badly, I definitely think prescribing to close friends is sketchy.

It’s illegal or at least prevented by medical boards in most states (I think) to prescribe anything DEA controlled to self or family anyway so that not even in the discussion.

Personally I would never prescribe anything to anyone without actually see them as an actual patient except that one instance of myself

1 Like

Yeah makes sense. I don’t really have a problem with it on the low end, like the stuff I was talking about. Like if I were a lawmaker I might have to think more about it, but just in terms of how it impacts everyone else, you’d just be reducing some strain/expense on the system.

I also don’t have a huge problem with like prescribing each other/self prescribing smart drugs or weight loss drugs. Any doctor who wants them knows exactly what to say to get them anyway, and they’re not dangerous to others while on them.

I think there potential ethical issues there when for example there big shortages of lots of weight loss meds these days, I don’t think it should just be all the doctors and their buddies being the ones who finagle their way to getting them. Not to say them getting rx from self or clinic is actually any appreciable impact but I think public perception/trust is important

Yeah I agree with that, it definitely applies when there are shortages. I should also say that I think it should be a lot easier for the average person to be prescribed similar drugs, again assuming no shortages.

Seems hard to get the new vaccine in the Bay Area, no appointments available near me at Walgreens or CVS until late in the week.

2nd daughter pozzed this morning, presumably catching it from her sister. Hopefully it lasts as briefly as it did for her sister, who only missed 4 days of daycare before testing negative.

3 Likes

The new Moderna shot knocked me on my ass for a day. Shot Thursday morning, started to feel chills/fever overnight, stayed in bed all the next morning and basically felt like crap all day. Back to normal on Saturday. I was surprised because I had never felt anything but a sore shoulder from any previous shot (all Pfizer).

Do people still shake hands the way they did before Covid? I feel like shaking gave way to fist-bumping at least for a while but maybe it’s come back, especially in more formal business contexts. I still use a ton of hand sanitizer, hopefully that’s a habit that will stick for a lot of people.

Anyway, I came across this from exactly 50 years ago:

handshake

So we’ve known for a while that shaking hands is dumb, I had hoped Covid would help us get away from that habit.

3 Likes

FINALLY managed to score a vaccine appointment for my 4 year old 1.5 hours away at a Walmart pharmacy. I do not live in a rural area! Continued what the fuck. But anyway, at least she’ll be vaccinated as of this Wednesday.

3 Likes

https://x.com/BBCBreaking/status/1708784717242290641?s=20

2 Likes

Good.

Legitimately huge story

https://x.com/bbcafrica/status/1708847840645042482?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

5 Likes

Needs more

:vince:

In the words of a certain former vice president, that’s a big fucking deal!

Let’s go science!

This is great.

remember guys - oct 4th there will be a test of the emergency broadcasting system. I’ve been told that’s when they’re activating all the 5g in our blood. Stay tuned.

Ah, wonderful, we have a testible, falsifiable hypothesis. I’m sure if this doesn’t pan out as planned, they’ll reassess their beliefs.

What is supposed to happen when they activate the vaccine? I saw somewhere else that we’d all get Marburg virus. Wouldn’t the government want to harm the anti-vaxxers? I know this’ll sound crazy but I’m not following the logic here.

Apparently can’t mix and match brands for under 4, and my daughter got Moderna which my pediatricians office didn’t contract with.

GREAT SYSTEM GUYS

I don’t know, I think actually it isn’t falsifiable at all, that’s why these predictions have such long legs - people will see someone look at them weird in the supermarket and that’ll be confirmation “something” happened, or 1-3 months from now there will be a smattering of “since 10-4 have you noticed…?” posts on all the crazy platforms out there.

I received my vax 5 days ago, and 3 days ago I spent the morning with my daughter, who tested positive a few hours ago. She’s been experiencing a sore throat and body aches for the past day.

I felt somewhat congested earlier today in both my chest and nose, although since it’s a warm day here in DC and I have the windows open, I didn’t know if it might be allergies. I actually feel pretty good now.

I guess I’ll take a home test if I start feeling worse over the next 48 hours. I assume that as I type my immune system is trying to get into high gear to fight the invaders.