Crapto thread: Going Blind to own the poors

If you’re a billionaire there’s not a single place on earth that can’t be your version of a great life.

I dunno, seems even billionaires in Russia can’t afford safe windows

4 Likes

OpenSea, the biggest NFT marketplace still fully enforcing royalty fees, said today that it plans to stop the mandatory collection of resale fees for artists. Starting March 2024, those fees will essentially be tips — an optional percentage of a sale price that sellers can choose to give the original artist. If the seller doesn’t want to hand over any money, that’ll be their choice.

Huh, that’s an odd qualifier - “biggest NFT marketplace still fully enforcing royalty fees”…

Blur, which has overtaken OpenSea as the biggest NFT marketplace by trading volume, only enforces a 0.5 percent fee on most collections, whereas creators typically set their fees at 5 to 10 percent.

:leolol::leolol::leolol:

This is amazing. OpenSea basically had a monopoly (they were the Google of NFT marketplaces) when the craze started in 2021, but through it all they were so greedy and incompetent that it seemed more like an accident that they were in the right place in the right time. And now they’ve lost their throne.

But yeah, this seems like a super predictable outcome - nothing about the blockchain/NFT contracts necessarily enforces that creators receive royalty fees on sales, that’s just something that OpenSea and other marketplaces integrated into their payment system voluntarily. And then other marketplaces opened up that were like “oh look, we can steal market share by just…not doing that, and letting buyers & sellers keep more money at the expense of creators” and lolol it totally worked :leolol:

:leolol:

In other news, this made me wonder what happened to Nate Chastain (former big product guy who was charged with insider trading, buying NFTs that he knew were going to be featured on the OpenSea front page and then selling them). He was convicted in May :leolol::leolol::leolol:

Does this mean NFTs are completely done going forward (not that they ever weren’t) or possible to put the creator fees in the contracts?

I think this betrays a truth about NFTs that everyone kinda knew but didn’t want to admit, which is that compensating creators was never the goal. So once the market provided an option that was willing to embrace that truth, it won. Are creators going to stop making NFTs now that they only get a tenth as much royalties after the initial collection sale? …probably not. Are people who were already trading NFTs going to stop because they’re outraged that creators are being treated this way? :leolol: no (their greed is the reason this is happening!).

I’m sure others have thought about this more thoroughly than I have so I dunno if there’s better answers to this, but my sense is…not really. The current way NFT sales work is…

• you initiate a transaction with the NFT marketplace contract to buy something for whatever price
  • the marketplace contract deducts fees (its cut and the creator royalties) & sends them to the appropriate locations
  • the marketplace contract tells the PonziNFT contract to transfer the seller’s token to you
  • ta da, the sale is done

Notably here, the PonziNFT contract knows nothing about royalties or price; the transfer of money in this transaction is all handled by the marketplace. While you could envision some NFT contract standard that did take this into account, what’s tricky about that is that marketplaces have no obligation to be honest about it. Like, if I buy something for 3 ETH, the marketplace could just lie and tell the PonziNFT contract that I only paid 0.01 ETH for it so that a much smaller amount of royalties is taken out, and I don’t know that there’s really a way for the PonziNFT contract to know that? There’s always kind of been a loophole around doing private sales to avoid marketplace + royalty fees, and I don’t know that there’s really any way for contracts to block that, at least not without severely restricting the freedom of people to transfer their NFTs between accounts freely.

Maybe I’ll head over to UP and take a victory lap

On second thought probably don’t want to get doxxed and threatened by lunatics

6 Likes

Thinking about it a little more, maybe the way to make something like that work would be that creators could write their contracts so that when you do the setApprovalForAll transaction (the one that lets OpenSea or whatever marketplace transfer your tokens on your behalf), which says “I consent to letting this other address here transfer my tokens around”, the contract only allows that for some whitelisted group of addresses that it knows belongs to marketplaces that respect its royalty fees. I think that would let the NFT contract allow its tokens to be sold on OpenSea (at least until now :leolol:) while not letting them be sold on Blur, or other marketplaces that won’t pay out royalties.

This wouldn’t stop private sales, but it kinda would - without setApprovalForAll, the only way to do a private sale is if you really trust the other party to not fuck you, because at that point you have to exchange the money & tokens yourselves instead of going through an intermediary, and lol no one wants to do that on the blockchain.

Why do creators get a royalty on every transaction? I could understand if it was a performance, but for making a picture that seems weird.

This is important because it was part of the selling point for artists to embrace NFTs. The idea that if their artwork appreciates greatly in value in the future, they can continue to benefit from it, as opposed to physical art where the artist only receives the initial selling price.

And nobody called them sweet summer children…

1 Like

:leolol:

In several documents, Mr. Bankman-Fried blamed Caroline Ellison, his former girlfriend and onetime lieutenant, for helping to cause FTX’s implosion. He described her as ill equipped for the job he gave her as head of Alameda, claiming she had cried during a meeting with him and refused to institute trading strategies that would have protected his businesses from a market crash.

Yeah that will play great, blame it on the woman :leolol:

Jesus Christ parents how strong are those brain chemicals? SBF’s parents are making unconditional love look pretty stupid lol. Like sure they’re obviously also psychopaths in hindsight, but this stuff is dumb. I can imagine having the part of yourself that makes you feel bad when you’re a piece of shit being missing (man does that sound nice!)… but the part that recognizes someone is being an unbelievable dumbass? Is wildly out of touch with reality?

I still don’t understand why people like him don’t flee when they have the chance. He’s going to likely spend the rest of his life behind bars.

IDK its not the 1980s, do prominent people flee somewhere and get away with it? Just polanski right? Only one I can think of and it was before then even.

edit oh yeah there’s the snowden route…

lol effective altruism

1 Like

Dunno if this is related, but Levine on SBF today: the “Bankman” of “Bankman-Fried” is in some trouble!

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve been expecting them to get arrested for a while. There’s more coming. SBF never gets off the ground without mom and dad, and I simply don’t believe they weren’t in on it to a significant extent. You can claim to be stupid or you can claim to be a genius and both of his parents have been trying pretty hard to seem like the latter their entire adult lives.

I feel like this was inevitable. Always were tulips.

Also, paging @riverman