Definitive All-Time Disney Original Song Bracket Battle: It's the Circle of Life

Creating dummy email accounts to create new accounts is a giant PITA.

Yea Iā€™m not going through the hassle to sign up my 6 yo.

If you have a gmail account, you can use [email protected] to register here and it goes to [email protected]. That, plus 1password for account management to easily switch between the two isnā€™t too bad.

1. Itā€™s starting to sound like Let It Go is downright underrated around these parts, but at least itā€™s having enough success against one of the weaker Aladdin songs.
  2. One commonality among Disney songs is that they almost always feature Broadway belters over operatic oratorio types. A notable exception is Gaston. Richard White has a killer singing voice, and checking out his IMDB, almost no credits except for Gaston. Really? Anyway, despite being the titular character of the song, itā€™s really Le Fou and chorus doing the singing. This might have had a better chance as a song if it were just Gaston embracing his narcissism, but it had to fit into the movie as the cast cheering him up. I respectfully disagree with eyebooger. Gaston isnā€™t even the best villain song in this block of songs. I Wanna Be Like You, meanwhile, is iconic in its own right. So many people identify with Baloo just getting lost in the beat as soon as they hear it. Iā€™m taking it into the next round.
  3. I have a hard time getting past the awkwardness of the lion not-sex in the 2 seed. My girls have a hard time getting past the crushing sadness of getting orphaned in Snowman. So, we voted against each other.
  4. I nominated Youā€™ve Got a Friend in Me, and my vote was on it initially. But, Iā€™ve swapped. I think Moana is massively underrated here, and Iā€™ve also gotta think that the best Disney songs of all time were sung by characters in the movie rather than being theme songs. How Far Iā€™ll Go has over 1.2 billion views on YouTube, and thatā€™s no accident. Itā€™s a quality number, and it hits on that recurring Disney theme of getting out from under the thumb of your parents. Not sure how MrsWookie is going to go on this one, as she has yet to vote, and this is currently tied.
  5. Perhaps Sebastian was the real star of The Little Mermaid, eh? These were the two best songs in the movie, imo, and they were the two Oscar nominees. The right song won the Oscar, and the right song is winning now.
  6. See, hereā€™s my favorite villain song. Bombastic and just dripping with evil on every note. I love the instrumental theme of King, but the sung lines just donā€™t hit me the same way.
  7. Iā€™m on Part of Your World for now, but I still havenā€™t made up my mind.
  8. I didnā€™t think Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah was going to make it out of the second round, but I did underrate it. Itā€™s not nearly up to the level of Friend Like Me, though.

Bump. Any more votes?

Advancing are Let It Go, I Wanna Be Like You, Can You Feel the Love Tonight, How Far Iā€™ll Go, Under the Sea, I Just Canā€™t Wait to Be King, Friend Like Me, and the tiebreaker goes to Part of Your World.

Congratulations to the first members of the Supercalifragilistic 16!

Called it.

(Though I didnā€™t see Gaston getting soundly beaten in the Round of 32)

:vince1:

I definitely underestimated how much my girls liked King. Theyā€™re bigbigbigbig Little Mermaid fans, but it was tough for both of them and ended up being a split decision.

And the second half of the Thrilling 32:

1 Seed: A Whole New World ā€“ Aladdin

vs

9 Seed: Belle - Beauty and the Beast

#1 A Whole New World ā€“ Aladdin vs. #9 Belle - Beauty and the Beast
  • #1 A Whole New World ā€“ Aladdin
  • #9 Belle - Beauty and the Beast
0 voters

4 Seed: Iā€™ll Make a Man Out of You ā€“ Mulan

vs

5 Seed: We Donā€™t Talk about Bruno - Encanto

#4 Iā€™ll Make a Man Out of You ā€“ Mulan vs. #5 We Donā€™t Talk about Bruno - Encanto
  • #4 Iā€™ll Make a Man Out of You ā€“ Mulan
  • #5 We Donā€™t Talk about Bruno - Encanto
0 voters

7 Seed: Bare Necessities - The Jungle Book

vs

18 Seed: Whatā€™s This? - The Nightmare Before Christmas

#7 Bare Necessities - The Jungle Book vs. #18 Whatā€™s This? - The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • #7 Bare Necessities - The Jungle Book
  • #18 Whatā€™s This? - The Nightmare Before Christmas
0 voters

14 Seed: Almost There - The Princess and the Frog

vs

27 Seed: Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast

#14 Almost There - The Princess and the Frog vs. #27 Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast
  • #14 Almost There - The Princess and the Frog
  • #27 Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast
0 voters

1 When You Wish Upon a Star ā€“ Pinocchio

vs

8 Seed: Heigh-Ho Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

#1 When You Wish Upon a Star ā€“ Pinocchio vs. #8 Heigh-Ho Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • #1 When You Wish Upon a Star ā€“ Pinocchio
  • #8 Heigh-Ho Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
0 voters

People voting for Whatā€™s This over Bare Necessities are all dead to me.

Iā€™m just pissed because ā€œThis is Halloweenā€ should have made S16 and got knocked out early. Iā€™m making up for it by voting the only other song from one of the best disney musicals left.

13 Whistle While You Work ā€“ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

vs

21 Seed: Whistle Stop ā€“ Robin Hood

#13 Whistle While You Work ā€“ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs vs. #21 Whistle Stop ā€“ Robin Hood
  • #13 Whistle While You Work ā€“ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • #21 Whistle Stop ā€“ Robin Hood
0 voters

Bare Necessities may be in legit danger. My girls may surprise me, but theyā€™re big fans of Whatā€™s This.

1 Like

7 Circle of Life - Lion King

vs

15 Seed: Into the Unknown - Frozen 2

#7 Circle of Life - Lion King vs. #15 Into the Unknown - Frozen 2
  • #7 Circle of Life - Lion King
  • #15 Into the Unknown - Frozen 2
0 voters
1 Like