ELECTIONS Thread: Menendez May Run Indy in NJ

We don’t really have a catch-all thread for election stuff. There’s a couple moderately important ones today - Chicago mayor and Wisconsin Supreme Court - and so far they both seem to be going well.

First up, how it started:

How it’s going:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1643418668691275777

Fuck yeah. And for Wisconsin, where we’re seeing if Dems can finally get their shit together and take courts seriously after the gutting of Roe:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1643428168710201345

Fuck yeah! Reports so far have suggested that Dem turnout in this one was absurdly high for a random April election like this.

3 Likes

Let’s go Wisconsin!

2 Likes

I saw some things from Wisconsin Dems predicting they were going to have big turnout in the 18-35 age range. Huge if it actually came through and can become a reliable voting bloc.

2 Likes

Saw reports of huge lines of college students (a. A lot of them voting, b. Not many polling places near universities)

Saw tons of Janet ads vs 0 for Kelly when I was in the state last week.

1 Like

There’s a mayoral election happening in Denver today with 16 candidates (15D, 1R) running for the seat currently held by the term-limited mayor.

Turnout is very low from what I’ve seen, partly because there’s way too many choices! Seriously, several ppl I talked to had no idea who to vote for. However, for all the complains I hear from people about homelessness, house prices, and crime, it’s disappointing that not more people are voting.

I ended up voting for the DSA endorsed candidate, but she’s running third at the moment with the top two being the more business friendly dems running, who coincidentally had raised the most money as well.

1 Like

Let’s go brandon

2 Likes

So is the legislature going to kick out the entire court now?

Just the uppity women dems

Lots of Wisconsin conservative lawnmowers launching into orbit on this fine evening at bad bitch o’clock.

1 Like

Unfortunately she may be impeached before she takes office. The GOP is on the verge of a State Senate supermajority, up 50.4% to 49.6% in district 8, with 95% of the vote in.

The outstanding vote is exactly where we want it to be: Milwaukee. But nobody knows exactly how many votes are left.

If they remove her, Evers names a replacement and I assume they just keep removing liberal justices and going around in circles. I don’t think they have to confirm his picks.

Hahahahahaha

Eat shit you pathetic, furious loser. 10 points (actually it’s 11 now!) is, fwiw, a savage beating, well beyond anyone’s most optimistic predictions for how this would go

1 Like

:leolol:

Fuck. She’s probably going to be impeached and convicted before/immediately upon taking office.

Love how every election now is a nailbiter 50.1% to 49.9% contest against some basic Dem and someone who will take away an entire state’s abortion rights.

This is going to get wild. So apparently the proper way to remove a judge in Wisconsin is via a process called Address, which requires a 2/3 majority vote in BOTH chambers. They do not have the votes. Impeachment only applies to “civil officers of the state,” and there is an argument to be made that it only applies to APPOINTED officials. Thus differentiating the process to remove duly elected officials and appointed officials.

Presumably the state supreme court gets to decide on this, and presumably the newly liberal court isn’t going to be like, “Yeah, you can remove us all and turn us into a theocratic state.” Presumably the GOP will then take it to SCOTUS, and… yeah, not great.

Meanwhile, Evers gets to appoint a replacement, as far as I know no confirmation process because there would be a new special election in 2024. But if he appoints a Dem, they can just impeach and remove that person if SCOTUS says they can, then impeach and remove Evers.

A lot of prognosticators say the GOP isn’t crazy enough to head down this road against the obvious will of the voters. Lol prognosticators.

Why the fuck wouldn’t they? They can’t lose the state house as long as it’s gerrymandered, so doing this concentrates even more power in the State House. Voters can punish them statewide, but they can just laugh and keep impeaching Democrats.

The GOP specifically going to the canvass here about banning abortion while other red states actually succeed in this insanity and watch maternity care get obliterated by it… is not a good move politically. These anti abortion crazies are their own worst enemies here.

Idk, they didn’t do it in PA when they had the chance. I assume they’re more far gone now and in WI specifically but I think there’s some hope that they don’t follow through.

Don’t think it’s worth hyperventilating about possible impeachment. After all, guess who decides whether judges are civil officers:

the newly liberal Wisconsin Supreme Court

If the state GOP wants to further inflame voters by openly trying to reject democracy like this, great?