Flub-A-Blub-Blub, 5 Billionaires in a Sub

100%, they were dead before they knew they were in trouble if it imploded.

So we call off the search now and stop wasting everyone’s time and resouces, right?

I don’t know how much additional resources are being used up in this by the various militaries involved, the tempo is probably higher than normal but they would have probably been doing much of the same stuff in training.

Aside from the fuel costs, do missions like these actually “cost” much money, assuming the use of free military labor?

1 Like

is “implosion” here like “the hull crumpled up and they all got instantly squished” or is it “the porthole ruptured and water blasted in at 300ATM or whatever”

I think either is possible here. Navy sub guy in his interview basically said at that level of pressure, any minor issue would result in catastrophic damage, and it seems unlikely OceanGate was following anything close to the level of safety check protocols necessary to ensure against such a disaster.

2 Likes

I have a sinking feeling about this :frowning:

1 Like

Coast Guard has confirmed Titan imploded.

“The debris is consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/06/22/titanic-sub-missing-titan-update/

There was an article upthread describing a sailor being forced through a 20cm hole during a catastrophic failure. 6000lbs per square inch doesn’t fuck around.

Yeah I was wondering this too if this actually a big burden on navy/coastguard? If anything I almost wonder if military/coast guard actually find benefit of these sort of impromptu “exercises” to improve readiness for when they need to go fetch a lost nuke or something?

well, at least they probably saw the titanic before they got turned into liquid

yeah but that’s the opposite, in this case the 6000lbs is coming in, not sucking you out, but I guess the end result is basically the same

Even better they became part of the historical site. A legit footnote. When they eventually do have a tourist sub that goes down there that charges 10x as much money and is actually safe they’ll for sure make a stop to look at the debris.

2 Likes

I think when the vessel implodes it is forced into a much smaller space and if there are bits of the vessel that can withstand the pressure everything else is smushed up against it. Regardless, I don’t think it’s the kind of thing where there is a little leak of water coming in, it’s probably super violent and fast.

I can’t help but wonder if the thing was so flimsy they caused the implosion by banging on the walls to make noise so they could be found.

Absolutely not. Negative percent chance.

This is some of the worst reporting I have ever seen. since it seems to be CNN leading the charge here, I shouldn’t be surprised, but jfc.

There were only ever two possibilities here. They lost power and are sitting on the ocean floor - in which case they were going to meet a horrible, slow end as they suffocate or freeze.

The other possibility was explosive decompression.

The whole narrative has been “omg gusy they could still be alive.” I shit you not the initial cnn report I read this morning was the most confusing thing I ever read - one paragraph reports that they found a debris field, and the rest of it is fluff quotes about holding out for survivors.

Guess it must drive the clicks or something. so idiotic.

3 Likes

Big day today for Ron DeSantis, who now only has the second biggest implosion of the year.

3 Likes

Somebody on reddit did some napkin calculations and said the whole thing would likely have occurred in about 1/5 the time it takes for the brain to register pain. Merciful if true.

3 Likes

Nah, the Coast Guard had sonar buoys stationed by that point that would have picked up that kind of implosion. These people have almost certainly been dead since 1.5 hours into their trip.

1 Like