Golf Thread: US Open at Pinehurst - RORY VS. ROIDS

“I was drug by the car”

People say drug instead of dragged?

I’ve actually heard Romines talk about this before this whole incident. I remember him saying if you are guilty don’t talk to the cops. If you are innocent, for damn sure don’t talk to the cops.

https://x.com/snoopysparty7/status/1796354504239251782?s=46&t=45vgHoZvsEXz2aWNi8tmcw

2 Likes

The cops: We want to place a 24/7 surveillance camera inside your house.

That reporter: Why wouldn’t you agree if you have nothing to hide???

https://x.com/dylan_dethier/status/1801618239883251822

Pinehurst No. 2 is such an elite major championship venue. The winner will probably end up between -3 and -7, with a handful of guys below par. Great ball striking is mandatory so it’ll be a great leaderboard, and the line between birdie and bogey should be pretty thin. The mental game is also highly emphasized in managing the course and dealing with the luck factor on wayward drives.

The US Open rota needs to be Pinehurst, Oakmont, Shinnecock. That’s it.

I feel like those are the best too, but there would be uproar if no US Opens were in the west or midwest

It’s not as good of a test, but Pebble should get one. You’ve got to have something on the West Coast. I have never been, but I assume Bandon Dunes and/or Pac Dunes just don’t have enough space for the fans/infrastructure needed. Likewise for Pasatiempo, again I’m assuming. If Riv didn’t have a regular PGA Tour event, it would be a good option. Sand Hills would be the ideal course in the Midwest if it is suitable for the fans/infrastructure.

So I would probably make the rota Pinehurst, Oakmont, Shinnecock, Pebble, and then a rota-within-the-rota spot for courses like Merion, Erin Hills, TCC at Brookline, etc. You would make it a mix of courses that aren’t quite perfect but check other boxes - maybe they can’t hold enough fans (Merion) but are still a great test of golf. Maybe they aren’t quite the best test, but they get you into other regions. Get those places a spot every 10-15 years, get the main rota spots a visit every 5 years, and roll from there.

I also love the idea that’s been floating around to mandate any course that hosts the US Open be publicly accessible at least once a month at rates that are at least somewhat reasonable. Of course, that might lose the interest of some of these elite private courses in hosting.

In a utopian golf world, the USGA would find a couple of really nice parcels of land - one on the coast in the Pacific Northwest, another somewhere in the Midwest, and they’d buy them and have Doak or Coore/Crenshaw design a couple courses specifically to host USGA events.

There are only 3-4 courses left to host this stuff because the USGA was asleep for 25 years on distance. It’s reallly annoying.

1 Like

Yeah even the ball rollback is too little too late. They need to roll back drivers and woods.

This TV coverage is an abomination.

I haven’t had a chance to watch much, which sucks, but I caught a few minutes today and had a chuckle at the “live look at the locker of Francis Ouimet.”

I’m all for the history and Ouimet is an awesome story, but an enormous LOL at emphasizing that it’s a live look at the locker of a guy who died in 1967 in the Hall of Fame that was opened one month ago.

Just turned it on. This 3+ minute playing through 2/3 commercial 1/3 golf really sucks.

Give me shit on slight tape delay over this.

During the interval two of first page leaders bogeyed and a co-leader birdied.

Did not think this course would set up well for Bryson. Anyone been watching closely? Is he having a great ball striking week or catching good breaks or what?

He proceeds to hit a chip fat, get it rejected, and make double. That’s more like it!

he’s basically just been really good at everything, minimizing big mistakes until that fuck up on 16 and obviously the length isn’t an issue with his power

If he’s minimizing mistakes it must be those new irons.

RORY!!! LFG!!!

Rory McIlroy is gone. Rory Fucking McIlroy is back.