GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

This story is also not even remotely limited to SI. It is what is happening to print media in general. There’s zero demand for it anymore. So all legacy print media is currently in this death spiral of employee layoffs, attempting to replace actual journalists with AI, and failed attempts at transitioning print media to digital. Journalism as we once knew it is effectively dead.

ESPN feels this way too, like do people actually watch Sportscenter anymore? Who would spend an hour watching 25 minutes of ads to catch highlights of 2-4 different sports when you can just go online and watch exactly what you’re interested in?

The economics of ESPN make a lot more sense when you realize that the ESPN universe consists of live sports and infomercials for those live sports.

Saw these related posts on Bluesky today:

There honestly should be taxes that go into some nonprofit journalism subsidization project but obviously that’s a political nonstarter in USA#1

“Left wing billionaires” :leolol:

Nobody gives a fuck about journalism or journalists. The news is whatever the algorithm puts in your feed, which is just stuff that confirms what you already feel in your heart after doing your own research.

It’s the same story in all media and really any business reliant on ads.

Super angry, super resentful people are immensely valuable because they never stop clicking and watching fresh rage bait. It’s more profitable to hook 1 incel loser than 10 normies. Boomers with money are even better.

Haley is like Hillary Clinton for the Republicans, she’s just so bad at this

https://x.com/natalie_allison/status/1749106285247643772?s=20

The correct answer is “Do you feel up to being leader of the free world?”

1 Like

Also, DeSantis is significantly worse:

It’s a super dangerous thing being both extremely type A to the point of being very offputting and narcissistic. Causes you to try things you have no talent for when you could be crushing it somewhere else.

And before anyone claims I’m being sexist because I think Haley and HRC are in this camp I also put a ton of male candidates in this box. There have been so many deeply unlikable cookie cutter ‘eat your broccoli’ failed candidacies I can’t even really keep track of them anymore. It’s just not how you build a good political candidate.

Hahahahaha

https://x.com/repashleyhinson/status/1748861716899958932?s=46&t=ECIc-ET7JxxiLXr8SgrQ7Q

That ratio :leolol:

That’s a fantastic dunk. Not sure it’s actually going to win net votes.

yeah turns out her husband took a ppp loan and has been getting dunked on all day

I haven’t read the thread, but those people normally just hand wave away the apparent hypocrisy: “You see PPP loans are different because the government forced me to close my business because of a fucking cold. You’re damn right they need to pay for that! No one forces anyone to take a student loan.”

It’s a flawed argument, but they love trotting that one out there.

Iowa famously and proudly didn’t close.

Drawing dead to an excuse gg.

If said in the appropriate tone of voice it could get a laugh versus being awkward.

Man, it’s crazy the things that I memory holed! They didn’t even close anything for a little bit?

I guess they could fall back on “Even if we didn’t close, the commie Feds told people to stay home instead of going out and spending, which of course hurt my business. Feds need to pay!”

The two times I’ve heard it IRL (instead of on a message board or similar) it was a in a group consisting of >75% of people who directly took PPP loans and the other 25% were probably employed by an entity that did. Everyone just nods like someone gave a good answer on Family Feud.