GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

Just more weak minded religious bullshit. “Why did the crops fail,” “because we didn’t pray enough!”

1 Like

yeah you could look at it as just a societal mental health episode, or you could simply attribute the lab-leak blame behaviors to opportunistic political expediency, because there are now whole industries that mine for opportunities in political influence which are pretty much online 24/7, and they usually just signal boost whatever works

elite-approved group of credentialed scientific experts

OK if those people can’t do science, who can, Megan, fucking Aquaman?

2 Likes

McArdle is storming up my power ranking of terrible opinion havers.

Yeah, I think it’s this.

2 Likes

A fine observation from the episode is how quickly these guys leapfrogged over the actual origin of the virus into a meta-discussion/scolding session about the media and “discourse policing” and so on. Like these guys know they aren’t informed on this topic and they aren’t about to talk/listen to “elite-approved credentialed experts,” but they are very well equipped to whine about cancel culture and unfair media bias and other perennial hack pundit grievances.

1 Like

She’s horrible but she absolutely does not medal in worst opinion writer category for the WaPo. And they’re adding more Heritage or AEI writers.

There is a lab in Wuhan and they have had things escape in the past. This theory was not implausible. Plus you can throw in some sinister Chinese overtones of weapon invention.

The theory was implausible based on known things about the virus genetically and the way it was spread though. The ‘there was a lab in the area’ was never a serious piece of evidence.

JFC

1 Like

That just can’t be real.

1 Like

A senior infectious disease epidemiologist only makes $130K/yr?

1 Like

Working for a university sounds range of what I would guess. I assume there private industry jobs making more

1 Like

Guys… do you think we could make a Substack?

:vince1:

I like to think of myself as a guy with a basic functioning moral compass but also $100k/month split 3-4 ways is about where I start to think we should all sell out and make a substack for morons.

4 Likes

I don’t know anything about substack but the key for any sort this grifting is just be easily identifiable as “qualified” to discuss something then promote a view contrary to general opinion of the field.

This why you can find a doctor with a book/blog promoting damn near any contrarian view on pretty much any subject

1 Like

One guy can use an AI bot to write Yggy-style hot takes essays, I can edit and punch them up a bit, another guy can manage the social media feeds, we could be hauling in mountains of cash here.

Shit, we could do this.

1 Like

100k a month split 100 ways would be worth the effort of making up variations of leopards ate my face and protect your kids from creepy dem stories.

I’ve got a journalism degree, extensive writing experience, a desire to make $108K a month, but no willingness to push anti-vaxx shit.

1 Like