GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

What @Coasterbrad said is what I meant.

Sorry for the unclear post. I think Fetterman is awesome for beating a well known tv personality in a purplish state after suffering a stroke. I hope he recovers a) for himself and b) because he has the best? top5? positions in the senate.

1 Like

No thread for LGBTQ+ victories since they’re few and far between these days so I’ll put this here. Score one for the woke groomers!

lmao, first paragraph:

The Washington Elementary School Board in Glendale just decided to stop bringing in student-teachers from nearby Arizona Christian University. And that’s not going over well with parents like Kalyn Foggy. “Teachers are stretched so thin right now, doing the best they can,” said Foggy. “To turn people away based on deeply personally held beliefs is just wrong.”

As the media has taught me to be deeply skeptical of person-on-the-street quotes, a quick google search shows this woman describes herself as “Christian & conservative” and was also quoted here in an anti-mask-mandate story:

“The previous arrangement with the opt-out form allowed for everybody to be happy. Parents who wanted to send kids in a mask were able to. Staff who wanted to wear a mask were able to, and just having that taken away from us is just very frustrating,” said Kalyn Foggy.

And her husband, also a teacher in the district, sells his plasma to support them because teachers don’t make enough money, better keep voting GOP.

4 Likes

Yeah I thought it was odd to devote the very first paragraph of the story to vigorous opposition before, you know, explaining the basic facts of what’s going on.

The reporter is “best known for his weekly Dirty Dining reports, which highlight local restaurants with major health code violations.”

2 Likes

Totally normal stuff from todays GOP:

The GOP has gone all-in on that CPAC guy not having said what he said and the media is doing libel to him

Not trying to necro this discussion but I had to step away for a second because this is near and dear to my heart and I was perhaps lashing out unfairly. Twitter and the general discourse here is nigh-unreadable to me.

I just want to make a small point about what you said here and what you probably mean. “We should not elevate people with mental illness to power” is an incredibly ableist thing to believe let alone say. I think, a more charitable explanation of that would be, “untreated mental illness should not be put in positions of power” is far less so, and probably what I think you really mean, but I don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth.

If you don’t mean that, like, plenty of people, even very very successful ones, have mental illness and deal with it every day and manage to function in their daily lives. Sometimes full blown heroin addicts can function successfully in technical fields, as a dumb example. so it shouldnt be a huge stretch to anyone really that people who have some mental problems could succeed also in positions of power.

4 Likes

Yea no I 100% agree with you and apologize if my post gave the impression that I felt otherwise. I was just trying to bridge the misunderstanding between the two of you as a third party who could more easily see what each of you were saying and how it may have been misconstrued, if that makes sense.

1 Like

An alternative wording that would work for me is that people with certain mental illnesses should never even be in medium proximity to power. I would even argue that when you’re designing your selection process for leadership one of the key questions you should be able to answer is ‘how does my system keep people with NPD and APD away from the levers of power?’

Narcissists and sociopaths make terrible leaders. News at 11.

One of the big reasons you can’t just say ‘nobody with any mental illness at all’ is that there are a lot of people from some of the other mental illness buckets you absolutely want in leadership. Not least because a large % of the ‘most talented people’ bucket has at least one if not several mental illnesses. As long as none of them are heavily associated with basically being a living embodiment of dark triad traits it’s fine.

I would argue that the two things that are doing the most damage to our country right now are 1) no mandatory retirement age on positions of power and 2) absolutely no guard rails against people with NPD/APD from thriving. Our society is a playground for narcissists and sociopaths at the top.

1 Like

lolz

how do you do, fellow kids

1 Like

“that slut!” was a great story about reagan.

Wish USA conservatives were as moronic as this

1 Like

The goal of the right in this country seems to be to bring us back to the 19th century.

To be clear, the victim here is no angel:

Right, of course, how could anyone in today’s GOP hold views like that :leolol:

2 Likes

Someone send this to ChrisV

https://twitter.com/calebecarma/status/1634295623582195712

non-paywall link

Stateside, the blog’s lack of editorial oversight has caused TAC legal headaches too. Last year, the publication settled a defamation suit out of court, per the two sources, that stemmed from a post that Dreher had written accusing a Kentucky high school student of promoting “LGBT consciousness,” bullying classmates, and “disrespecting teachers.”

All us boys wanted to stare at his primitive root wiener when we were at the urinal during recess, because it was monstrous. Nobody told us that wieners could look like that.

4 Likes

So apparently this guy’s Substack money came from one rich idiot? Is this how Yggy and the rest of the Substack bros operate? Is there some Mercer-style sugar daddy acting as their paypig?