GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

Sounds pretty Sensible.

1 Like

Thanks! :grin:

I donā€™t have a crystal ball, but I basically have a Marxist framework for analyzing stuff like this.

To the degree that culture war issues (and similar divide-and-conquer strategies) serve the purposes of the ownership class, ā€œDesantisismā€ will be tolerated and even encouraged. But if that ownership class determines that itā€™s doing more harm than good, theyā€™ll get some changes made.

1 Like

I mean if this action were a trading card game card it would be called ā€˜friends in low placesā€™. They just put a bunch of pressure on a bunch of central FL construction/banking/real estate guys whose portfolios have now suddenly shifted in big way because of this. This is the corporate equivalent of getting on TV and calling a political enemy a traitor to their country that deserves to die. And this isnā€™t just the people on this one building. Everyone who has pending construction business planned over the next decade with Disney has to know that they are scrapping projects while the political environment is uncertain.

So yeah I 100% think that office building will eventually get built. If they do a really good job of political wrangling here it might end up bigger.

Way up thread when I said Disney was essentially unbeatable in FL this is what I meant. They basically just tapped two mana and summoned 28 2/2 real estate goons and said go. This was never going to be a real fight. This is just one of many angles they can play. Itā€™s Disney and itā€™s Florida. Jesus Christ you can attribute a double digit % of the stateā€™s tax revenue directly to Disney. Itā€™s a hilarious % of the stateā€™s GDP and the next biggest industry after tourism is elder fraud.

Go woke go broke? Cross Mickey in Orlando and get curb stomped you empty suit imbecile.

3 Likes

That thing was always a long-term investment in lowering costs because FL is way cheaper than California. However, it wasnā€™t going to actually pay for itself for years/decades. Disney is currently really cash poor because of bad business decisions on the streaming/television side and likely to be so for the foreseeable future. It is unlikely this project comes back anytime in the next decade.

Listening to NPRā€™s Ramaswamy, the man is transparently a bad faith corporate PR construct, heā€™s pretty good at the art of narrowly agreeing with centrist ideas in a very qualified way and then pivoting to dogwhistles for the Trumpy crowd. I think he crushes the Dems head-to-head, good thing heā€™s never winning a primary.

1 Like

Biggest problem with Ramaswamy is that he canā€™t weasel his way out of his plan to raise the voting age to 25. He should have been a lot more evasive about how he framed that idea.

Also that would require a constitutional amendment so itā€™s not going to happen. Itā€™s literally just an inflammatory thing that would in fact help the GOP remain relevant for a few more years if it wasnā€™t more dead than single payer healthcare.

He didnā€™t have to suggest it at all. There were almost infinite better options since this is for sure the bottom quartile of ideas.

Some dude with a swastika flag and duct tape tried to crash into Lafayette Park, presumably to go kidnap Biden.

Ken Paxton might be impeached? Seems likely due to his opposition to the obviously drunk speaker guy? Need to find out what the hell is going on.

2 Likes

As if someone crazier wonā€™t win the primary.

Iā€™m not sure that anyone crazier than Mastriano even exists. My guess is itā€™ll be McCormick and heā€™ll only be a small underdog in the general.

If Democrats canā€™t hold on to that senate seat in 2024, itā€™s going to be a BLOODBATH.

Can someone explain to me how the GOP doesnā€™t get absolutely wrecked from here on out? It looks to me like theyā€™re comically unpopular with ā€˜minoritiesā€™ AKA everyone who isnā€™t a 40+ year old white manā€¦ and itā€™s getting worse at a pretty good clip.

And itā€™s not like they can pivot because the primary process virtually guarantees that only the craziest crazy will ever represent them in the general from here on outā€¦

What exactly are they going to do from here to remain politically relevant? I get that they have the SC for the next 50 years, but itā€™s not really 50 years itā€™s until the GOP is so politically irrelevant (and the Democrats in office are younger) that they canā€™t protect the SC from the other two branches anymore.

What is the run out where they win? Somehow seizing power? The military is less Republican than it has ever been and the cops are also on the steep downslope part of the institutional cycle along with the GOP.

Iā€™m not saying what comes next is going to be better, itā€™s going to suckā€¦ but itā€™s going to be a little bit different at least.

Is this true? Seems like Hispanic men moving full on gop?

Cheating.

2 Likes

This was my thinking 15 years ago.

Iā€™ve given up hope that demographics will save us.

1 Like

A) this isnā€™t completely true
B) voter suppression
C) if that doesnā€™t work, thumb on the scale when counting the votes

1 Like

The fundamental issue in my mind is electoral college and Senate inherently designed to favor rural states so government is always going to be more conservative than the populace unless there a conscious effort to encourage Ds to move to rural red states

1 Like

And Iā€™m guessing this is going to get worse with how batshit crazy some of the red states are behaving recently.

Who would want to move from a blue state to a red to reddish purple state right now?

I feel like theyā€™ve already passed diminishing returns with the cheating. When it hits a certain level of obvious it starts to cost you more votes than it gets you.