GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

How does Tuberville have a solo veto on the military. If the Ds have 51 they can’t minke what every rule? And if so, does it mean that it’s really Manchin and Sinema as the bad guys in this story?

muh norms!

He doesn’t. It’s like a million different promotion bills that are routine and pass by “unanimous consent.” He doesn’t let them pass by unanimous consent, and voting on everyone of them individually would tie up the senate (and prevent the dems from doing other things like confirming judges), so the correct play here is what the dems are doing.

1 Like

Is there not a sneaky way to bypass him? Like on a day when he’s not there vote on them.

They could, but it once again falls under “muh norms!”

Remember how Alabama drew illegal voting maps with a single majority-Black district, and even the conservative SCOTUS was like “nahhh you can’t do that, try again”?

This story is from today. They’re going to do it again!

It’ll go just like state congressional redistricting went in Ohio. They’ll basically stall until everyone’s like, welp, it’s too close to the election to do anything now. Looks like we’re stuck with the old districts.

Gonna need the actual R/D split on that 44/52 black/white district, because a district that is 44 percent black seems like it would be a D leaning district to me (and a district where the black vote should be strong enough to elect a black representative).

I don’t really get it. It says Alabama is 26.8% Black and they have seven districts. While I have no doubt they are trying to draw the districts favorably for Rs, two majority-Black districts seems like a strange litmus test. My math feels say that would be unlikely to be the outcome in an unbiased drawing unless the Black community was clustered in exactly two areas (this could be the case, IDK anything about Alabama).

1 Like

It had to pass the GIngles test from this extremely conservative court so I’m assuming the answer is yes to the clustering question.

• The racial or language minority group “sufficiently large and geographically compact to constitute a majority in a [single-member district]”;
  • The minority group is “politically cohesive” (meaning its members tend to vote similarly); and
  • The “majority votes sufficiently as a bloc to enable it … usually to defeat the minority’s preferred candidate.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4098609-gop-senators-rattled-by-radical-conservative-populism/

“We should be concerned about this as Republicans. I’m having more ‘rational Republicans’ coming up to me and saying, ‘I just don’t know how long I can stay in this party,’” said Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska). “Now our party is becoming known as a group of kind of extremist, populist over-the-top [people] where no one is taking us seriously anymore.

“You have people who felt some allegiance to the party that are now really questioning, ‘Why am I [in the party?]” she added. “I think it’s going to get even more interesting as we move closer to the elections and we start going through some of these primary debates.

“Is it going to be a situation of who can be more outlandish than the other?” she asked.

I will let Wikipedia explain this one:

On May 19, 2023, he released “Try That in a Small Town” as the lead single from his upcoming eleventh album. The video for that song, released on July 14th[38], was shot in front of the Maury County courthouse in Columbia, Tennessee where in 1927, the body of a Black man, Henry Choate, was hung on display after he was lynched and his corpse dragged through the streets. CMT (Country Music Television) had been showing the video since its release but pulled it from rotation on July 17. Aldean defended the video as not pro-lynching because none of the lyrics reference race.

2 Likes

By Anne Applebaum, most known for writing about authoritarianism in Eastern Europe:

non-paywall link

5 Likes

Only read the posted excerpt, but yikes, seems frighteningly on point.

https://twitter.com/ampol_moment/status/1681785949112479744?s=20

1 Like

I didn’t catch the hearing, how do I ask this modestly, how’s Hunter’s Hunter? What’s he working with, it may have an electile impact.

This dude has photos of himself fucking in the congressional record I could not respect a man more.

4 Likes