GOP Insanity Thread: a bunch of weirdos weirding out

https://x.com/acyn/status/1706901066489430245?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

Ok thatā€™s legit funny in the worst possible way

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/01/kevin-mccarthy-matt-gaetz-house-speaker/

Get ready for another round of speaker fight

I guess the question is whether or not the democrats want McCarthy gone. Like, I donā€™t see any net upside for democrats here. If they dump Kevin the GOP will look like a bunch of clowns for a while, but theyā€™ll eventually put someone worse in there. Chances of a real shutdown with worse outcomes go way, way up, seems like the most likely outcome is that things are so bad that Biden gets the blame.

Maybe they can negotiate meaningful concessions for saving him, like an up or down vote on a clean Ukraine funding bill and, I donā€™t know, maybe ending the impeachment inquiry? :pray:

Yeah it seems like there is way more upside for the democrats in keeping him, the problem is that Kevin has already figured this out too. Heā€™ll probably have to give up something but not a ton

Dems should want Kevin gone IMO as if they put up someone even nuttier it will only help them win in 2024 and its not like anything is getting done in the next year anyways.

1 Like

I think itā€™s more valuable to demonstrate how dysfunctional the Republican party is than having to deal with someone who might be worse than McCarthy. The Freedom Caucus is loud but they are less than 25% of the GOPā€™s representatives. They canā€™t just pick a super-crazy guy.

Republicans:

IMG_1598

3 Likes

Democrats should just do what they did during all those speaker votes. Just hang back and vote for Jeffries every time.

If thereā€™s actually a vote to remove McCarthy (Iā€™m not convinced this is happening), just vote ā€œpresentā€ and let the Republicans fight among each other.

1 Like

Itā€™s probably closer to 40% if you include the other fringe lunatics who will vote with them. There were 90 republican votes against the CR.

A motion to vacate the chair (I think) requires a majority to pass, so the democrats voting ā€œpresentā€ would effectively be voting against it, and it would fail.

If the blocking motions fail, and a vote on the resolution is called, it requires a simple majority of lawmakers present and voting to succeed. If it passes, the speakership is immediately vacated.

The way Iā€™m reading this, itā€™s a majority of those voting, so present wouldnā€™t count for or against. I could be wrong though.

That is correct but even MTG is down w/ McCarthy now. # of R votes against McCarthy is expected to be between 4 and 20.

Yeah but ā€œpresentā€ is effectively a no vote because McCarthy has like 200 republicans who will vote that he not vacate the chair. Gaetz needs basically all of the democrats to vote with him. If 50 democrats vote to remove and the rest vote present, thatā€™s not going to cut it. Hell, if 150 democrats vote to remove and the rest vote present thatā€™s not going to cut it. He basically needs all of the democrats.

Then, yeah they should all vote present.

Do not help McCarthy, but do not be on the same side as Matt Gaetz.

I donā€™t know the House procedural rules well enough to know, but if McCarthy can pause/extend the voting time, the best move for Dems is to enter votes against him immediately when voting opens, let him know the price/menu to flip those votes to keep him as Speaker, and then sit back and see what happens.

Some sort of power sharing is an obvious one, can you imagine Mitch McConnell bailing out Chuck Schumer in some sort of alternate universe where the left was trying to oust him, and getting nothing in return? Another concession could be deepening the divide in his caucus by doing something like requiring him to kick the MTGā€™s of the world off committees, or enforcing some sort of decorum rule that addresses her conspiracy theories.

Also would consider humiliating him in hilarious ways, like making him wear a hoodie on the floor of the House for lols.

2 Likes

:leolol:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerMcCarthy/status/1708988205603627286

:letthemfight:

ā€œItā€™s not my problem to save his aā€“,ā€ Rep. Norma Torres, D-Calif., said after the motion was made Monday night.

:leolol:

Shouldnā€™t democrats vote against McCarthy? And then theyā€™re back to the stalemate when McCarthy was first chosen. Maybe the freedom caucus hold tight this time and all hell breaks loose.

Absolutely vote against him and let it burn.

Even Peter Baker canā€™t both sides this shit.

1 Like