Invasion of Ukraine: Why Doesn't Russia Concede Kursk and Negotiate Peace?

This is some high level, “Russia is about to learn why Americans don’t have healthcare,” stuff right here.

2 Likes

So in Georgian parliament, a bill cannot be procedurally abandoned after its first “reading”. it would technically still be there, and could be called up for a vote at any time. to defeat the law, it actually would have to be voted down.

well, following another day of protests, the parliament did just that, and the bill fails in its second reading, 1 vote for and 35 agains, with 58 (!) abstaining.

vlad isn’t happy and propagandists are now pivoting to blaming usa/cia involvement a la maidan.

the protesters instead have switched to chanting for the return of Sukhumi into georgia (internationally recognized), which is in the region that russia invaded in 2008.

lets fucking go!

2 Likes

No, please don’t give me the polonium, I swear I didn’t vote against the bill!

:thinking:

Looks like NATO and the EU are starting another war:

Literally going with: “Nice country you got there. It would be a shame if something happened to it.”

1 Like
  • where in the world is victoria nuland and her famous cookie recipes?

is what i imagine a lot of board trolls are saying right now.

Why aren’t Russians reverse-engineering it themselves?

Regarding the situation in Bakhmut:

Translation of thread:

Talked to friends in the Ukrainian Armed Forces near Bakhmut. Three messages:

1. Ukrainian Armed Forces are still persevering because the Russians suffer very high casualties in blind, primitive assaults. Ukraine wants to make use of that.
    Quote: “I am here near Bakhmut for almost eight months and Russia advanced maybe 20km suffering huge casualties. At that pace they would need several years to get to the border of the Donbas.”

2. When Ukraine retreats from Bakhmut, it has prepared positions in the hills behind Bakhmut as a new line of defense. Russia would surely spout a lot of propaganda but strategically the capture of Bakhmut means very little.

3. There is no alternative to a Ukrainian victory. If Ukraine gets more and more quickly mortars + mortar grenades, artillery and especially artillery ammunition then the war can be finished sooner.

They wanted to but the dipshits on the front sent it to Iraq instead of Russia…

I was reading an interview in the New Yorker with Stephen Kotkin about the war last night and he was saying that Ukraine is using like 90,000 artillery shells a month and USA only manufactures 15,000. Rest of NATO manufactures another 15,000. Some need to be reserved for themselves or Taiwan. That it may soon be an issue if western countries don’t ramp up production of traditional military equipment to wartime levels rather than just provide supplies they have on hand.

Several NATO countries are already ramping up production but it takes time. Russia has a similar problem. In the beginning they used 20000 shells a day, now they are down to 5000 a day.

90,000 is how much ukraine would like to be using or asking, not how much they actually use. that number is unsustainable for a number of reasons, including shell production. but also howitzer barrels need to be services or replaced after like 20,000 shells, so at that rate AFU would be going through howitzers as well as shells.

Spring offensive begins?

That can’t be right? They just rolled up like 30k soldiers there?

Ukraine has received almost no tanks so far. There might be a counterattack but I doubt that it is the large offensive Ukraine has planned unless Russian forces are in far worse shape than we know.

Sometimes, while playing Civilization IV, I’d send a few modern armor units in to probe my enemy’s defenses, and then I’d accidentally conquer a bunch of cities despite not being properly equipped because I vastly overestimated my opponent’s defenses. And once you start taking cities by killing phalanxes with modern armor’s, you’re not just going to stop.

1 Like

I’m sure the numbers are exaggerated by Russian leaders to explain/hype it

I’m doubtful this the main offensive but it seems like holding the town would be dumb if you’re going to allow these salients without countering