Invasion of Ukraine: Why Doesn't Russia Concede Kursk and Negotiate Peace?

Was browsing Reddit Ukraine stuff a little and kinda sounds like things heating up in Russia. I don’t know what reliable but pics up ton of shit blowing up at an airfield that apparently was actively launching the planes trying to beat back the Ukraine advance

Would be kind of funny if Ukraine somehow marched on Moscow.

Funny in the, we’d all probably be dead within a week kind of funny I guess.

My dude if you still believe that Russia could actually nuke us you haven’t been paying attention. That tech, if it was ever real, rusted out before the people manning it now were born. The group of people who lied to us the most about the strength and risk posed by the Russian military? Our own military looking for funding.

We just watched the Russians get the brakes bashed off them with 1-2 generations out of date soon to be scrapped stuff we had already replaced when I, an almost 40 year old man, graduated high school.

I just don’t buy it. If they were going to use nukes they would have. I don’t believe in Putin having the political real world authority to launch nukes and thus kill every single human being the people he’s ordering to launch the nukes have ever met, or in his militaries ability to carry out a successful nuclear strike against the US. Not in August 2024.

Maybe. Maybe. Still wouldn’t want to test that theory. And they don’t need to be able to nuke us. They just need to be able to nuke Europe.

I don’t think they can do either. I think they can’t nuke Kyev and that’s evidenced by the fact that every day they don’t. The most hilarious thing about this whole situation is that the Russians believed their own press about being the second most powerful military in the world.

Those F16’s are so versatile and so problematic for the stuff the Russians depend on to keep the front from collapsing it’s actually hilarious.

I mean, maybe, but also they’re still sending people to space and in theory they should prioritize nukes above everything else in the military.

I don’t believe that’s evidence of Russia’s inability but of Russia understanding the ramifications.

1 Like

https://x.com/TrentTelenko/status/1821988703994311112

Uh, do we need to worry about the cooling systems for these reactors?

I think it’s definitely possible and maybe even likely that a percentage of Russian nukes are basically non functional but I wouldn’t be willing to bet on it.

They only need a couple to be working to end civilization.

Would be colossally stupid for Ukraine to cause a meltdown of a nuke power plant that close to their border so I remain cautiously optimistic that the cooling has redundant power sources…

They won’t force a meltdown. The plant gets shut down long before that. But that would leave a large area without electricity and lots of Russians finally feeling real consequences from the war.
Also anyone thinking Russia can’t nuke US and Europe is dreaming. Europe is trivial with short range missiles that are clearly functional as they are being used with conventional war heads in Ukraine. It is also wishful thinking that a country still able to put satellites and people in orbit won’t have at least 1% of their ballistic missiles functional. Which is still enough to destroy all major cities in the US.
They won’t use nukes though. It doesn’t achieve any goal besides mutual total destruction.

1 Like

Yeah, this is where I’m at.

Mine was a hypothetical thought experiment on what they would do if Ukraine was able to march on Moscow (I mean, Prigozhin almost pulled it off)… I think there’s a decent chance they’d use nukes in that scenario.

Short range missiles aren’t trivial to get hits with in 2024. Additionally they have to get the command to launch nukes followed… which historically hasn’t happened for them or us thankfully.

Idk I don’t believe the kleptocratic government in Russia bothered to properly maintain expensive weapons they can’t realistically use without dying that they were already getting credit for. They definitely stole the maintenance money for decades.

Russia is paranoid enough that a significant amount of them are guaranteed to be maintained. The ones on nucleair submarines are definitely maintained and I expect a small percentage of land based ones as well. And those hypersonic missiles they use have a pretty high succes rate and that is for a ground target and not an airburst where stopping the missile might not actually stop the nuke from going off.

yeah I was thinking about that, the incentives that lead to the general lack of maintenance in the army probably don’t exist on a typhoon, right?

Anything Russia fires at the US will be shot down well before it comes close to making contact.

If there was an enemy force marching to Moscow I think the rank and file will obey the order. This isn’t Putin going crazy, that would be in line with every bit of doctrine they have ever had regarding when to use their nukes.

If North Korea can keep their nuclear arsenal working then I’m sure Russia can. Maybe no all of them but enough for MAD. It is basically the one thing they need to have above all else.

But then they will nuke Kyiv, not the US.