Invasion of Ukraine: Why Doesn't Russia Concede Kursk and Negotiate Peace?

How did Russia not see this build up and predict something? Has Ukraine been massing folks near the borders whole war and Russia just assumed they never would step foot in Russia?

Yep, and then what happens?

Not global nuclear war. This is all hypothetical anyway. Ukraine isnā€™t going to march on Moscow.

Nobody has been able to even get close to intercepting a MIRV so everything Russia manages to get into the air results in multiple cities in the USA or Europe getting hit.

How is shooting one those out of space different than when US recently shot Iranian ballistic missile out of space? Would it be matter of needing ship in perfectly right place or different entirely? (ETA- I know this has multiple warheads but canā€™t they be shot down independently if not gotten before they separate?)

Thereā€™s a whole lot of people still buying the Russian military is great bullshit despite astounding evidence to the contrary. I havenā€™t even mentioned the other really big thing which is undisclosed classified US current gen capabilities that nobody here Iā€™m aware of knows about (except maybe skydiver lol).

At this point Iā€™m in auto doubt mode about any supposed Russian military technology. Iā€™m not even pretending thereā€™s any honesty on this subject from any of the governmentā€™s involved. Itā€™s to everyoneā€™s benefit but the US taxpayer for everyone to think the Russian military is super scary and a real potential threat. I just donā€™t buy the Russian nuclear threat in 2024. At all. You guys think the threat needs to be credible to work, but I think from the perspective of a Russian kleptocrat thereā€™s absolutely no reason it needs to work.

I donā€™t disagree with concept of not giving unnecessary deference to Russia nuclear saber rattling but they have detonated like a thousand nukes so I donā€™t doubt they could blow something up if they actually wanted to

1 Like

Ballistic missiles are on a fixed trajectory when coming down and MIRVs are not as they are designed to move around while descending. On top of that Iran didnā€™t even use their most modern and much faster missiles.

1 Like

Super secret doesnā€™t work trying to build something designed to intercept a MIRV. The only way to test them is by actually getting a MIRV to do a reentry. Which the US did a couple of times and failed

1 Like

Duh, this tech was mastered years ago. Everyone knows you just sweep the trackball from one side of the screen to the other and fire all your missiles from one of the corner bases.

TAS Missile Command Arcade (to Round 21) on Make a GIF

3 Likes

I am extremely confident our missile defense system can take out 90 percent of what russia would throw at us and the other 10 percent will be taken care of by dudes in F35ā€™s sacrificing themselves.

More importantly, I doubt there is a scenario where they would even be able to get nukes in the air, they will get taken out before they even have a chance to launch. The last couple years with Ukraine has shown how ineffective their military technology is.

The idea Putin would be holding back some US defeating tech while they flail around is laughable.

1 Like

I am confident you have no clue what you are talking about.

1 Like

I wonder how long it would take the US to sink every one of Russiaā€™s nuclear capable subs? I thought back in Tom Clancyā€™s days we pretty much always had them shadowed by a hunter/killer, unless Tom was just making shit upā€¦

Iā€™m confident that the people talking about Russiaā€™s capabilities are still giving more credence to what the government tells them about the military than what is actually happening to militaries in real life on the ground.

If thereā€™s one thing that has been made incredibly, abundantly, clear itā€™s that the Russian Federation put military maintenance at the absolute bottom of the priority list from at the latest the end of the Afghan War through at the earliest the most recent invasion of Ukraine. Also abundantly clear is that nuclear arsenals require a good amount of maintenance to remain operationalā€¦ and since the invasion of Ukraine the Russian war effort has probably prioritized standing up more drone production over getting their nuclear arsenal back up to snuff.

And then you have our missile defenses classified and not. Youā€™ve seen F35ā€™s and the iron dome but you still think that leftover, poorly maintained, and entirely ancient Soviet era nuclear arsenal means mutually assured destruction?

OK I guess. Thatā€™s a take that requires a lot more faith than I have. I believe what I can see and what I can see is that the Russian military might be the biggest paper tiger in human history. The gap between their supposed capabilities and their actual capabilitiesā€¦ truly a thing of historically large proportions. And knowing that Iā€™m going to go ahead and hit x for doubt on the rest of what they can supposedly do that is supposed to be so scary.

I think the issue is that in the scheme of things launching a few hundred missiles at the same time isnā€™t super complicated and only a couple would have to work

1 Like

I thought these shoot them down before their terminal phase coming down? My understanding is in launch/space missile canā€™t change its trajectory?

Isnā€™t the main issue we canā€™t shoot down 100 of these at once? If was just one ICBM (such as N Korea) thought we had a good shot

We can stop a few hundred missiles easily. A few hundred missiles that mostly fail is comedically easy. And when weā€™re talking about the sub launched ones thereā€™s a very real chance the US military knows where all the Russian subs are at all times and is pointing a dedicated missile defense package at each and every one whether they know it or not.

We spend a vast amount of money on the military and a large fraction of it is justified by needing to stay at least one generation ahead of the Russians on everything. You canā€™t convince me that they have a credible nuclear threat after Iā€™ve watched their entire military get its face ripped off by our obsolete current gen-2 hardware that we sent the Ukrainians for a large accounting write off. I just donā€™t believe it. I barely believe those weapons ever existed at this point.

I think they havenā€™t seriously thought about nuclear weapons since START was signed. Thereā€™s absolutely no reason you have to have the hand at showdown when itā€™s mutually assured destruction and you never plan to do anything but bluff with itā€¦ and keeping it real is super expensive and you would absolutely 100% die anyway if a situation happened that called for them to be used.

Iā€™m sorry but there is just no universe where given the limited resources Russia has to work with they spent a ton of very dear resources keeping up enough of a nuclear arsenal that they could overwhelm the US. Better from their perspective to spend 0 on it and let the US keep developing missile defense tech and wasting money like suckers.

https://x.com/LovelyLad_/status/1822590177790812642

They donā€™t need to be great. Weā€™re talking about tech that has existed for 60 years. Itā€™s not rocket science. (I mean it is, but you get the point).

Lol, Wut?

1 Like