Israel Palestine Conflict 2023

Or Hamas could just release the hostages.

I mean Iā€™m just a guy on the internet, but I feel like Bibiā€™s gonna think he has to act like a Serious Person here which means not giving an inch and showing no mercy, lest his right-wing partners think heā€™s going easy on Gaza by failing to bomb it to rubble.

I donā€™t think your point of view is unreasonable, but I do think it needs to come with an expiration date - fair? At some point they get too close to actually starving two million people to death, right?

My main concern is, has any alternative strategy been floated?

people are already dying because of this.

Think I read US has sent FBI teams that have been involved in recovering hostages in Middle East before so Iā€™m sure there about 1000 options they considering

It is difficult to discuss this with you because of your soul reads on what is actually going to happen instead of just using what is happening that the rest of us are stuck with. How many people out of the 2 million have to survive for you to be right and the rest of us wrong? My understanding is that nothing is getting in now so they are in the process of starving 2 million people. Is that not correct?

1 Like

They have definitely done this in the past, but I donā€™t think theyā€™ve done it since bibi was in charge, and they DEFINITELY havenā€™tā€™ done it right after bibiā€™s regime was caught with their pants down in a massive intelligence failure

no, weā€™re not going to watch. thatā€™s why they cut off the electricity, theyā€™re going to wait until all the fuel is used up, nobody can charge their phones, so they wonā€™t be able to upload anything to the internet.

theyā€™re already doing it man, not sure what to tell you

3 Likes

no true starving civilians to death fallacy

4 Likes

To be devils advocate several things have stated there still at least days of various supplies such as clean water. Now Iā€™m not as optimistic as others that Israel actually going to change its mind on the water but I really hope itā€™s possible

1 Like

NPR interviewed a mother this morning who said sheā€™s already got her baby on half the normal amount of milk due to supplies running low

1 Like

People could simply go to Egypt except Hamas would sneak in terrorists to blow up the Egyptian people because they are also infidels in the opinion of Hamas. Also unclear if Hamas would even allow a mass exodus as that would be the end of their dreams.

Religion can be a terrible, terrible thing and Hamasā€™s interpretation of the Quran is the absolute worst. Unfortunately, donā€™t have to twist Muhammadā€™s words and example much to reach their conclusions.

1 Like

this is unfortunately correct. Hamas regime controls and severely limits the exits from Gaza, as much as israel and egypt keep them closed. a mass exodus isnā€™t possible unless the people within overrun hamas forces.

ok, gun to your head, what would you do in place of say israel cabinet? do you stop with the air strikes, nix the ground invasion, and continue to hand food and water to hamas? would you have called off the airstrikes completely and relied on only ground invasion after severely limiting idf rules of engagement? do you forego any strikes on gaza territory, but continue to close off the border for people? do you lift the sea blockade which by the way failed and did allow hamas to amass however many rockets?

not really asking about how to do that politically and get reelected in israel, thatā€™s a whole other problem. how do you think you can break the spiral of violence, while having lived through the attack last weekend? jewish law says to bury as soon as possible, and they havenā€™t even been able to bury every victim yet.

Itā€™s quite possible to say ā€œIDF should not do a genocideā€ without literally solving an 80 year conflict.

1 Like

The one bit of good news is Israelis increasingly rejecting Bibi and his hardline tactics.

https://x.com/ianbremmer/status/1712541934823297285?s=20

I have no real takes other than itā€™s critical to emphasize that Hamas != Palestinians and Bibi != Israelis

5 Likes

I just wanted to take a moment to ask everyone to remember that this is an extremely complex topic, a hopelessly depressing situation, and obviously the loss of human life (and the manner in which many of the lives were lost) has been horrifying.

Please try not to paint with a broad brush, please try to give posters the benefit of the doubt on a complicated topic and attack the post and not the poster.

I think for the most part, people have been doing that with a few posts as exceptions.

5 Likes

Can you point out problematic posts? I donā€™t see any.

I donā€™t think anyone has really crossed a line, but things are (understandably) getting a little heated.