LOL Democrats: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

OH SHIT THEY FOUND HER

Uhhh could be the photo but that sure looks like she had a stroke

It’s like Weekend at Bernie’s, but somehow more absurd.

FYI, looks like this to me:
https://wikem.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster_oticus

aka Ramsey Hunt

Get vaccinated for chickenpox/shingles, this disease fucking sucks

Imagine being that narcissistic

It’s just insane that important things that actually matter and will affect the country for years to come rely on this person to be functioning enough to show up to work.

Kinda NSFW

1 Like

looooooool

wtf this is ridiculous, feels like only actual reasonable explanation is some shaman put a curse on her that she will die the moment she is no longer a senator

1 Like

Dianne Palpatine

When is proxy voting allowed? Does that mean she doesn’t need to physically be there?

I’m not sure when, but yeah apparently. So then the question is why weren’t they doing this before, hmm? Almost like they were happy to not have her vote and slow down the process.

They tried to allow her to proxy vote and somehow the republicans stopped it. I don’t pretend to understand the different mechanisms, but that was what was reported at the time.

You can’t use proxy votes to break ties according to their silly ass committee rules. Those votes only count if they don’t affect the outcome. They could theoretically change those rules but it would require 50 votes and nuking the filibuster so it ain’t gonna happen.

1 Like

you can change senate rules without nuking the filibuster

Counterpoint: no you can’t. The rules are subject to a filibuster just like anything else. It’s the same reason why they couldn’t replace DiFi on the committee without the consent of the Rs.

ETA: You actually need 67 to change the rules. Lol Senateaments. I guess you could try to angle shoot since it’s 2/3s of them present and voting and not 2/3 duly chosen and sworn but that’s effectively the same as nuking the filibuster.

Rule XXII Paragraph 2: “Is it the sense of the Senate that the debate shall be brought to a close?” And if that question shall be decided in the affirmative by three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn – except on a measure or motion to amend the Senate rules, in which case the necessary affirmative vote shall be two-thirds of the Senators present and voting – then said measure, motion, or other matter pending before the Senate, or the unfinished business, shall be the unfinished business to the exclusion of all other business until disposed of.

I have no idea where you’re getting this but the fillibuster itself is… a rule. It can be changed with 50 votes. Other rules, likewise, can also be changed with 50 votes.

Oh, so you’re making a stupid semantic argument then? Ok, well carry on then. I guess you can nuke the filibuster without calling it “nuking”. Very smart, much genius.

what in the fuck are you talking about

you can change some rules without changing others. changing any of them requires 50 votes.

changing the rules about replacing someone on a committee does not require changing the fillibuster rule

3 Likes

if rule changes were subject to a filibuster, then you could not nuke the filibuster with only 50 votes obviously