Middle Eastern Conflagration, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Iran

You forgot openly admitting to cutting off food supply. Truly debating the method of cruelty here.

1 Like

I agree that the IDF actions likely to harm more people overall but they’re a lot more room to debate them. Like I saw a video of one apartment getting bombed and it had secondary explosions showing it actually was a storage site for serious weaponry. Or when you see thousands of rockets getting shot that were presumably smuggled in civilian supply shipments you can see an argument for locking things down. Although if they just turned off the water pipe I can’t come up with any conceivable justification for that

Of course not. They’re going to do it via air strikes and starvation

3 Likes

My pony was drone striked

4 Likes

I haven’t studied any philosophy/ethics in awhile but is sort by number of deaths the only reasonable way to weigh these considerations?

Like to me it’s not obvious that 5 civilians killed in an air strike on a weapons depot is inherently worse/more evil than a baby getting killed by hand. Like obviously 5 is more than 1 so worse in that way but the baby also seems worse because there no conceivable justification? So they both worse in different aspects

One is an act of war or a war crime, denying food/water/electricity to millions of people is an overt act of genocide.

You can make the argument that palestinians would genocide the israelis if they could, but one group’s actions is definitely not like the other in this particular case.

They’re giving every indication they intend to wipe out gaza, and using classic genocidal language like “animals” while doing so.

I’m potentially way too naive, how many Gaza residents do you expect to be killed in next 3 months to say if your prediction on Israel intent was accurate? (I would say non-military residents but I’m not even sure how this is defined)

I am not qualified to answer that and we’ll never get real numbers but I’d say easily 50k+. But, the Hutu’s massacred half a million tutsis in about the same time period with basically a bunch of machetes so who knows. They’re saying stuff like “gaza will never be the same again,” hard to interpret their actions and words as anything else at this point.

Well… chopping up some toddlers is going to go poorly. You can argue intellectually all you want that one baby beheading is the same as one baby dead in a bombing, and you would be right. But I don’t think the human animal is going to agree with that

1 Like

Uh, I stand by what I said? He’s posting explicit apologia for the IDF not making a distinction between Hamas leaders and civilians, which is not a hypothetical but something the IDF is currently doing as they shell random apartment complexes and cut off water and power to the whole region. I really and truly hope that the IDF stops short of slaughtering everyone in Gaza, but everything we are seeing from the IDF is a promise of unlimited and indiscriminate violence that no one seems to be willing or able to stop. As bad as Hamas was, and they were quite horrible, the IDF response is looking to be at least an order of magnitude worse in terms of civilian deaths, and posting apologia for this is far worse than merely pointing out that he is.

2 Likes

No, of course not. It is, of course, much more civilized to kill 10 times as many people, but from afar with drones and bombs and artillery shells. Gentlemanly killing.

2 Likes

As I think any civilian would view an invading force on their land. I’m not saying the IDF isn’t justified in going in after Hamas, but in such a complicated conflict, there are no purely good guys. My guess is that any peaceful Palestinian or Israeli civilian who wants to coexist is going to view invading soldiers, terrorists, or rockets/ordinance about the same: with fear and animosity.

The non-Western world can see it quite clearly, especially as the understable desire for bloodlust has caused the Israel government to not even pretend otherwise. We are going to cut off all food, water and electricity and reduce the place to rubble is a pretty explicit admission of intent to engage in barbarism.

It’s 9/11 and the aftermath all over again.

This is a pretty good background and primer/analysis of israel’s long history of genocidal behavior towards palestinians from a decently unbiased source IMO. There are legal definitions to this stuff. Hamas can never be the bad guy here anymore because hamas had absolutely zero capability of even causing genocidal damage to jewish people. I’m sure they would if the situation is reversed, but I don’t even see what there is to debate anymore about what’s “worse” now. One side totally has the option not to commit genocide right now. A frustrating part of this discussion to me is for people to take this factual statement as some support for hamas or terrorism or the violence perpretrated in the israeli communities, or like condoning it at all. It’s a purely emotional reaction to the horrific images and scenes unfolding live on X now, which remember is why I make it a point to stay well away from.

I’m sorry but cite your work on this one.

Because I remember how various Asian countries get when anyone in Japan does something referencing their empire… and they aren’t happy about a few things far beyond simple bombings.

The non-Western world doesn’t even agree with us on Ukraine-Russia.

You really think they don’t view shit like this as in the same ballpark as Hamas?:

What? Beyond the obvious fact this is made up too and not actually researched or carefully considered at all, it’s also completely irrelevant.

Furthermore, asking I really think something right after I said it is super annoying. Yes, I think hand butchering infants will get a very different reaction than bombings.

Although now further clarification that Biden hasn’t seen dead baby photos so maybe this is all fake still.

Not just bombings that just so happen to kill lots of civilians to get to Hamas. Right from the jump it’s a siege blocking off food and water to 2 million people.

Truly bizarre that people pretend like they don’t understand the implications of this. Do they think that Palestinians are magical creatures that somehow won’t starve to death without food or water?