Middle Eastern Conflagration, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Iran

Israel is being very careful in how it prosecutes the war in Gaza:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1735738196825166209

Israeli soldiers fighting in the Shejaiya neighborhood east of Gaza City mistakenly shot dead three hostages captured in the Hamas-led attack on Israel on Oct. 7, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement Friday. IDF troops took the hostages for a threat and fired at them, the statement said. Later, “a suspicion arose over the identities of the deceased,” so the bodies were transferred to Israel, where they were confirmed to be Yotam Haim of Kibbutz Kfar Aza, Samer Talalka of Kibbutz Nir Am and a third hostage whose family requested that he not be identified.

“Who do you think they are?” “idk, shoot them”

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not blaming the IDF for shooting at hostages in close quarters combat. That happens in this situation, and it’s on Hamas not the IDF.

1 Like

IDF says this will go on for several months? Good lord, the refugee camps are going to be horror shows if they don’t get clean water soon.

yea my 50k deaths initial estimate is now looking super duper low

“she shouldnt have dressed that way if she didnt want to get raped”

Mine was six figure death total. Think we’re going to get there.

Give me a break dude, even disagreeing with me that kind of stuff isn’t necessary. Hostage takers are responsible for the death of hostages isn’t some controversial opinion.

1 Like

I think absolving blame for people literally shooting the hostages is off the charts a stupid, callous, and moronic position not very different than the statement I said.

No, you absolving the hostage taker’s from ultimate responsibility for what happens to the hostage is pretty stupid too.

2 Likes

That analogy doesn’t really make sense in this context.

Seems obvious to me the hostage takers are to blame but that doesn’t mean IDF can’t be criticized for being reckless/incompetent/whatever if that is the case

1 Like

Of course not, but without knowing what actually happened I can chalk it up to shit happens in combat and not something that happened on purpose.

1 Like

I mean yeah, it’s a safe bet the IDF did not mean to kill three Israeli hostages, just like they probably do not intend for this to happen:

But these deaths likely were intended by the person pulling the trigger, they just didn’t know enough info about their targets to make better decisions. Which is clarifying! For comparison, the U.S. appears to have had fewer friendly fire deaths (though Kurdish allies had worse luck) in eight years in Iraq than Israel has had in two months in Gaza, if this list is exhaustive.

2 Likes

We have no idea if any of those things are true though. Hell would any of us be surprised if Hamas purposely left the hostages in a state that made them seem threatening?

This is room to room fighting as well, not carpet bombs. I’m not some tactical expert but my understanding is that this happens in this kind of situation

I was mostly coming from standpoint of few weeks back seen several articles that people within Israeli complaining the whole structure of the operations doesn’t prioritize hostage safety compared to other possible approaches

Of course it does. Explain how it doesn’t? Not trying to be a Jonny Sealion here, but of course it does. You are blaming the victims with such a statement. Is there any other way of interpreting it?

Blaming the people who killed a bunch of civilians, raped a bunch of people, took a bunch of hostages and then fled to hide behind civilians in order to purposely start a war to submarine the peace process with other Arab actors isn’t “blaming the victim”.

what is the ratio to hamas victims to idf victims hmmm i wonder if theres only any way to figure that out hmmmm

probably not, its probably unknowable (addressing the us media’s 2024 goalpost shift/denial “oh no how could we have known”)

Literally nobody is blaming the victims (the hostages).