Middle Eastern Conflagration, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Iran

It says a lot about the state of the world that Nvidia finds no reputational risk in associating (to the extent that matching donations to charities via a third party platform is “associating” at all, which is pretty f’ing weak) with “Fund for the Development of the Binyamin Region and Settlements” (arming illegal West Bank settlements) or “American Friends of Israel Navy SEALs” (exactly what you’d expect), but the fucking Palestine Children’s Relief Fund is a bridge too far for their deplorable asses

When you’re a very serious country:

Itamar Ben-Gvir, the far-right national security minister, was the first Israeli official to react to the judgment, writing on X: “Hague-schmague.”

You’ll be shocked to hear that another official called it antisemitic.

Thoughtful piece from Ezra Klein in NYT:

Magic link

1 Like

This is well-said:

This is not a problem you can solve by firing college presidents or blackballing student radicals. Israel is losing the support of a generation, not a few student groups. And it is losing it because of what it does, not what it is.

I listened to the most recent episode of his podcast, with Thomas Friedman, where he made similar points. It was good but the one thing that drove me insane was Friedman making this argument (transcript):

I mean I guess he’s got us on “literally half the population of Gaza, not 10,000” but did this get totally memory-holed??

Israelis shot several thousand Palestinians and killed hundreds! The world didn’t care!

non-paywall link

A thoughtful article about fault lines in the American Jewish community over Zionism.

:harold:

Analyst Carl Schuster, a former US Navy captain, said the Houthi missile, traveling at about 600 mph (965 kph), was likely about 4 seconds from hitting the US warship when it was destroyed by what was likely a 2- to 3-second burst of machine gun fire by the Gravely’s Phalanx system.

US warships have defeated dozens of previous Houthi missile attacks using longer-range defenses, likely the Standard SM-2, Standard SM-6 and Evolved Sea Sparrow missiles, analysts say. Those defensive missiles engage their targets at ranges of 8 miles (about 12 kilometers) or more.

But on Tuesday night that didn’t happen for reasons that have not been revealed.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/02/middleeast/phalanx-gun-last-line-of-defense-us-navy-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

The technology involved in those guns is pretty impressive. Just the fact that it’s able calculate in seconds, aim, and fire to stop something that small going 600 mph…

When you’ve lost Kristof, of all people, you might want to pause for a minute and think about things…

Non-paywall link

2 Likes

Israel’s like “we’re not doing war crimes” while their soldiers are all over social media like “yoooo look at us doing war crimes this is fucking siiiiick”

Thread from one of the authors with lots of highlights and details:

https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1754858189785272821

I dunno, man. The Israeli government has been pretty forthcoming about doing warcrimes as well.

Lots of war criminals, not a lot of war police around to do anything about it.

1 Like

By the way, in case you missed it during Biden’s “My memory is fine,” press conference, he said Israel’s response in Gaza was “over the top.”

Pretty significant statement. We’ll see if there’s anything to back that up policy wise.

Very cool and normal stuff happening here

It’s genocide and Biden needs to stop it.

1 Like

So Israel killed 100+ people while providing “air cover” to rescue two hostages. They apparently blew up a refugee camp in Rafah. They launched the attack shortly after kickoff of the Super Bowl.

What I saw wasn’t war — it was annihilation

2 Likes

I do still believe in that, but I think when people say it, they usually mean that human civilization is slowly becoming more moral because we eventually learn from our mistakes. And I think that’s naive. I’d say that it’s laughable but I don’t find it funny.

We’re the same as we always were. Still, I do believe that on long timescales the world gradually gets better, at least in the sense that more people are less awful to each other. The world at least gets easier, and maybe kinder.

But that’s almost all because of technology. When everyone has more, there’s just less to fight over. The competitive part of our nature is never going away, but as the stakes go down, greed can seem less urgent and less contagious.

Unfortunately as technology keeps coming up with better ways to improve our lives, it will also keep coming up with easier ways to destroy us all. I think it’s going to be a photo finish.

The moral arc may have bent towards justice from WWII until 2016ish or 2020, but that doesn’t mean it is an automatic condition of the universe.

Moral justice is a cyclic thing.