Middle Eastern Conflagration, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Iran

Saw a reference to kamikaze drones. It’s an effing guided bomb. Nothing more.

Bored IDF commanders who can’t find enough targets to bomb are picking off civilians and aid trucks for sport. It’s not a war, it’s a slaughter. That isn’t to minimize the horror of what Hamas did but rather accurately characterize of the way Israel has been prosecuting this “war” for months with no goals, no end in sight, just constant death and revenge.

And my post above is also looking to the future, because we all know what happens next: you can’t criticize Israel when they’re under attack! That supports Hamas & Iran! (so be quiet while they massacre more civilians in Gaza and settlers run wild in the West Bank)

8 Likes

Big Q is will US assist in counter attacks on Iran. Can’t imagine the Israel is not going to respond in multiples of force.

I’m sure we will assist in a general sense but seems Biden wouldn’t want to risk a US pilot getting shot down by Iran any more than by Russia

Legit not sure what kind of response Israel can mount here given the geography and fact that airspace is not available for Israel to fly over to directly strike Iran. I guess they can Yolo and fly over Syria and Iraq to get to Iran? Seems difficult.

I don’t know much about it but think few times a year Israel launches small scale drone strikes from within Iran at various factories and stuff so I assume that could be part of it.

ETA not to mention I’m sure whole point of them having f35/etc is to be able to attack Iran?

I’m sure Israel can strike back with missile strikes and that Iran has less air defense.

Seems like another moment where massive escalation is possible, if unlikely. Not exactly great

1 Like

What are the odds Netanyahu just says, “Ok we hit your embassy, you shot some missiles, we’ll just call it square and go back to focusing on genociding in Gaza.”

Slightly less than 0%.

The osint people posting some videos recent claiming to be missiles hitting in proximity of an airbase so could be kinda :harold: depending results of that but still hoping maybe Israel can shoot some missiles at a drone factory or something and call it a day

Israel apparently killing ballistic missiles in space. Seems more symbolic kind of move by Iran here

https://x.com/cuppycup/status/1779290313699295366?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

5 Likes

I have no idea what the right answer.

So many bad actors, with agendas aside from trying to find peace.

And the MAGAs are going to try and jam through an Israel only bill and cut out Ukraine.

Seems like Iran engaged in a face saving measure, again, opposed to a real strike. Obviously that might be all they can do

1 Like

I’m not so sure. Israel’s interception capabilities for a strike like this are probably the best in the world, especially coupled with help from the US and UK. It’s also possible that Iran just underestimated them. It’s also possible that Israel took some damage at the Negev Air Force Base, we just don’t know yet.

Wonder if Zelensky on the phone with Israel encouraging them to fuck up Irans drone manufacturing. Kinda a unique situation where even US could conceivably attack an important part of Russian war machine directly and probably get away with it

ETA thinking on it more he probably would prefer everyone just to chill out in Middle East so world could go back to caring about Ukraine again

I doubt Netanyahu is going to pass up the chance to do something to Iran directly.

This thing is going to spiral into a regional war:

Source: Israel reports minor damage to military base after ‘limited number’ of Iran missiles fall on its territory – live | Iran | The Guardian

I don’t know how much room there is for this to spiral while remaining “regional” in nature. I’m also not sure Iran will perceive it to be in its interests to broaden the conflict to Iran-Jordan conflict. Right now Iran appears somewhat sympathetic in the last few years - Trump had Soleimani killed and they didn’t escalate it, now Israel killed Iranians and Iran seems to have telegraphed its next move.

If they broaden a conflict with Jordan because Jordan shot down unmanned drones in its own airspace, that’s clearly an over the top escalation.

Jordan also needs to proceed cautiously here, I can’t imagine it really wants to be caught in the middle between two countries it has diplomatic but tense relations with. Closing its airspace to both and trying to stay out of it seems pretty optimal.

1 Like

I get that they didn’t choose to start a war they couldn’t win with Israel and the USA but they’ve been plenty shitty in Iraq, Palestine and Yemen.