Middle Eastern Conflagration, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Iran

In this instance, just that it’s heartbreaking for CN to be trying to do serious arguments for Israel ITT next to someone posting the exact same stuff who also adds “god I fucking love watching my brothers in Israel do war crimes” to their posts

I’m going to try slow mode for 24 hours and see if that helps.

Oh, right. Of course this operation, just like every US anti-terrorist operation, killed nothing but terrorists, no innocent civilians. But just hypothetically, say there were under some incredible circumstances a credible source that confirmed that an Israeli hostage rescue operation killed some 5 year olds (we all know that wars never kill five year olds or anyone who’s actually innocent, but let’s try a gedanken experiment). How many five year olds (per hostage, naturally) would you deem an acceptable loss, and where would you draw the line at too many 5 year olds for that hostage rescue operation to have been a good idea to green light, instead of waiting for another window that might not have killed as many five year olds?

1 Like

No one said this. No one implied this.

Nobody is going to play this game because it’s obv loaded, but I’ll give it a go cuz I’m dumb.

Given your example, the only quibble I have is the end part where you say that the other option is to wait for a rescue opportunity where there are less 5 year olds to kill. I’m going to ignore that part because if there is guaranteed to be another rescue window with no 5 year olds ldo you wait. But instead I’m going to assume that you feel like this may be your only chance to get the hostage back before they are killed.

So if it’s a random human, it’s 0 5 year olds.

If it’s an innocent non-combatant national held by an enemy, maybe 1 or 2 tops.

If it’s my mother or father or sister, maybe 5-10.

If it’s my wife, 50+.

I don’t have kids, but I assume that the number goes up bigly.

If it’s my mother in law, they can keep her amirite?

1 Like

I am arbitrarily choosing to give Biden credit for this: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/intel-halting-25-billion-factory-expansion-israel-israeli-media-report-2024-06-10/?utm_source=reddit.com.

My guess is that the Israeli economy is in for a bad couple of decades. We’re going to find out if they’re as good at dealing with sanctions as the Iranians are… and knowing that every major capex project going into the country that can have the plug pulled is going to see that plug violently yanked out of the wall. Once the current projects that are sunk cost fallacy’d out of range of being cancelled finish there won’t be any more.

Can’t say I’m anything but gleeful about it. Fuck 'em. Don’t do all the war crimes in the age of cell phones or it’ll have huge economic consequences is a message I would like every nation on earth to grasp.

1 Like

Why is Hamas such an obstacle to peace?

Oh, weird, Hamas supports it? Great, so we’ll finally have peace then since people ITT assure me Hamas is the roadblock!

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/11/middleeast/israel-gaza-un-security-council-ceasefire-intl-hnk/index.html

Israel has vowed to persist with its military operation in Gaza, saying it won’t engage in “meaningless” negotiations with Hamas, shortly after the United Nations Security Council overwhelmingly approved a US-backed ceasefire plan intended to bring an end to the eight-month war.

Israel’s representative to the UN, Reut Shapir Ben-Naftaly, emphasized at a UNSC meeting Monday that her country wants to “ensure that Gaza doesn’t pose a threat to Israel in the future.”

The senior diplomat said the war would not end until all hostages were returned and Hamas’ capabilities were “dismantled,” accusing the Palestinian militant group of using “endless negotiations… as a means to stall for time.”

:shocked_pika:

The language used here is telling. “Ensure that Gaza doesn’t pose a threat…” This is a top-level diplomat, we can be sure it wasn’t a slip of the tongue.

This is the second time Israel has backed away from a peace plan that they supposedly supported. There was the ceasefire that they said would have no bearing on whether they invaded Rafah, which is one heck of a ceasefire. Now just flat out rejecting peace until they’re done.

https://www.axios.com/2024/06/11/hamas-response-gaza-israel-hostage-ceasefire-proposal

Nothing in goofys quote actually says Israel backed out of the proposal ffs

I’m baffled by this post. Per your quotes:

1. Israel does not say they are withdrawing or don’t support the initiative
  2. Hamas does not say they support the proposal

Hamas says they welcome it, which means nothing. Israel says they won’t continue in meaningless negotiations and continue militarily (which seems like a pretty obvious play to force Hamas’ hand)

:shocked_pika:

https://x.com/barakravid/status/1800622590006116662?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Seriously some of y’all are so easily taken by anti Israeli propaganda

Uh

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/blinken-says-hamas-signal-support-un-backed-gaza-truce-deal-is-hopeful-sign-2024-06-11/

The accurate thing to say right now is that we don’t know shit but you ran in here to post the first piece of pro Israel propaganda you found, great work!

Yeah accepts it in the same way I accept an Amazon package. Unlike you, I read your links:

Qatari and Egyptian mediators said they had received a formal reply from Hamas to the U.N.-backed truce proposal, and Hamas and its ally Palestinian Islamic Jihad expressed “readiness to positively” reach a deal to end the war in Gaza in a joint statement on Tuesday.

We’re like a day removed from you demonstrating the opposite. We’ll see what happens! I would be thrilled to be wrong and eat shit and find that Israel is in fact willing to be a partner in peace, but all of Netanyahu’s public quotes are still “this war doesn’t end until we end Hamas” and after Gantz quit he’s even more beholden to his psychotic right-wing partners who think Palestinians aren’t human and would never go for this, so I really don’t believe they’re going to follow through here. Again, would be thrilled to be wrong.

Goofy hamas could commit to peace tomorrow and Israel could pull out and you’d still be 100% wrong about what these articles say

Well that’s the important thing, that you always claim victory and never update your priors regardless of how many times you’re proven wrong over and over and over again

Well yeah because Israel was never “in” therefore they can’t “back out”

So it’s very someoneiswrongontheinternet.jpg to continue pointing out that you misread two articles in short succession, but that’s not very interesting.

The more interesting question to me is why you think you let that happen twice… and why people like cW ate it up without reading it either.

Seems like that’s worth thinking about.

For people interested in, you know, what is actually being reported:

Seems like Hamas has responded, Israel is calling it a rejection (but hasn’t withdrawn from talks) and the us called it helpful and was evaluating a response.

What anything actually is a huge means is one big :person_shrugging:. I have my own thoughts on what’s going on, but will happily admit that’s it’s far from any sort of solid ground or insight. One can easily disagree with me and be totally reasonable about what will happen (or even what has happened). All I ask is that you, you know, read your own source carefully so you don’t accidentally mislead others