No way to prevent this: teen murdered while returning an airsoft gun to a sporting good store

https://x.com/lauraannstl/status/1732504679731306809?s=46&t=ECIc-ET7JxxiLXr8SgrQ7Q

I mean, yeah, end the filibuster I guess, except it wouldn’t matter in this case because R’s have the house, and also, in 2 years when Republicans probably have the trifecta…

Agreed, more just amazing at the timing of this. But I guess with the way the US is, there was likely to be a mass shooting happening anytime this bill was being filibustered.

every time there’s a “big” mass shooting there are ALWAYS initial reports of multiple shooters, has it ever actually happened outside columbine?

Ugh this country. Pretty sure just last week I read an article about another potential mass shooting in Vegas being stopped after they arrested some guy with an arsenal of weapons

even columbine was reported more than 2… also columbine was mainly one even still. Was also supposed to be a huge bombing, but the bomb didn’t work.

1 Like

“only” 3 deaths, this may not even make the evening news

Yeah, this wasn’t news:

Not sure what else you could expect in USA#1

———

Gun violence continues to cause enormous grief and trauma,” said Mayor Sheldon Neeley. “I will not allow our city government to profit from our community’s pain by reselling weapons that can be turned against Flint residents.”

But Flint’s guns were not going to be melted down. Instead, they made their way to a private company that has collected millions of dollars taking firearms from police agencies, destroying a single piece of each weapon stamped with the serial number and selling the rest as nearly complete gun kits. Buyers online can easily replace what’s missing and reconstitute the weapon.

Hundreds of towns and cities have turned to a growing industry that offers to destroy guns used in crimes, surrendered in buybacks or replaced by police force upgrades. But these communities are in fact fueling a secondary arms market, where weapons slated for destruction are recycled into civilian hands, often with no background check required, according to interviews and a review of gun disposal contracts, patent records and online listings for firearms parts

————
This little-known but profitable corner of the firearms economy exists because the approved method of destroying a gun contains a loophole that has been exploited.

To be able to say a gun is destroyed, disposal companies crush or cut up a single piece that federal law classifies as a firearm: the receiver or frame that anchors the other components and contains the required serial number. The businesses can then sell the remaining parts as a kit: barrel, trigger, grip, slide, stock, springs — essentially the entire gun, minus the regulated piece.

Police agencies and disposal companies say they are following guidelines set by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. While the guidelines, posted on the A.T.F. website, show illustrations of whole guns being cut into pieces with an acetylene torch, they also say that an “acceptable method” is to destroy just the receiver or frame.

The companies, for their part, say that if public officials want the whole gun destroyed, they must pay for it.

2 Likes

lolwat?!

ShockedPikachu.gif that police agency do the absolute worst possible thing with surrendered firearms. I’d say it’s insane, but in reality it’s pretty unsurprising.

I think a large part may have been people legitimately had no idea what happened to the guns after these companies got them to dispose, guess the test will be if anything changes. Like we all follow this stuff closer than most but I had never heard of this.

“ The Rev. Chris Yaw, whose Episcopal church outside Detroit has sponsored buybacks with local officials, said in an interview that he was “aghast and appalled” when told by a reporter how the process works.

“It tells me that our society is set up really well for buying and selling guns,” he said, “but it’s not set up very well for disposing of them.””

https://x.com/briantylercohen/status/1735349068690538517?s=46&t=ECIc-ET7JxxiLXr8SgrQ7Q

7 Likes

FUCK. YOU.

https://x.com/philiprucker/status/1740015482399498586?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

Get that rehabilitation tour going

I doubt this will have much impact, but I’d take any win on guns at this point:

Magic link

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 5.22.52 PM

Manhattan Institute ghoul getting some cheap shots in

https://twitter.com/leorsapir/status/1743036071359697312

The bigger takeaway is that the school shooting in Iowa was barely a blip on the radar, because a school shooting with two deaths (one of them being the shooter) is just a regular everyday event now.

2,794 school shootings done by cisgender people: “don’t talk about guns, this has nothing to do with guns, guns are fine”
1 school shooting (maybe? no clue other than that this ghoul is suggesting it) done by a trans person: “we need to talk about the problem with trans people”

1 Like