Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

I went to a private school that was the #1 school in the country in my major, but overall definitely not an Ivy level school. Got about half the tuition in grants, though. Never the less, the quality of the education in my major was fantastic and they definitely sent me out into the world as one of the best new grads in the country at broadcasting… which set me up in early adulthood to participate in a very clear case study demonstrating that it’s not what you can do, it’s who you(r parents) know and what they can do for you.

So yeah I agree with the people ITT saying there are a handful of schools that may be worth it just for the reputation, but for the most part, the best reasonably-priced public school in your field is the way to go.

I went to U of L. It was fine. I don’t think I missed out on much going to a state school because I actually think the entire endeavor was a huge waste of time and money that I would snap take back if I could.

Generic state school for me and it didn’t matter at all for my post college jobs, same thing with my wife and she is basically the most succesful career type person I’ve ever met. If I had kids I’m pretty sure i would actively discourage them from trying to get into ivys or other top name brand places. The whole thing is a massive scam and the pressure and brain warp that kids deal with thinking their life is over if they don’t get into Yale or whatever is terrible.

1 Like

I did the big name undergrad and I also think will be encouraging kids to go state school route unless there some real compelling reasons based on their career aspirations.

It’s probably bad that I’m surprised he raised no money. We all missed an opportunity at probably generational wealth not getting it while the getting was good with grifting MAGA people.

That opportunity is gonna be around for a long, long time if you want to take advantage of it.

I passed on getting hired into greater Libertarianism in college, that was definitely the moment when I personally passed on grifting MAGA. That it isn’t a major regret of mine is mostly a function of my having found another way to not be poor.

Yeah, I guess I meant “anyone” by “you”. I didn’t mean to imply that you personally would wanna do it, just that these idiots are gonna be around forever and it’s always gonna be easy for anyone who wants to grift them to do so.

Harvey Weinstein conviction overturned. Who in the Trump camp is wrestling his phone away from him to stop him from sending out a message about how the New York courts are having their conviction overturned because of how corrupt and inept they are or whatever trump garbage he wants to rage message?

He’s going to make that tweet happen don’t you worry.

Came in to post that. I guess we all owe Harvey a big apology!

Seriously though, remember when this guy caught the Rona and survived? What a gut punch, this creep has nine lives.

He’s not getting out. He ate 16 years in CA in 2022 for raping people there. I gotta be honest from a legal perspective I actually see where the court was coming from overturning this. Letting other women he raped testify to his character to show a pattern is pretty fucking prejudicial.

Of course I feel about this particular prosecutorial overreach the way I feel about the lengths the federal government went to uproot the mafia… the RICO predicate is a wildly overpowered weapon that if used on anyone but a very powerful organized criminal is, I think, pretty out of line.

Super wealthy/powerful defendents are what prosecutorial overreach is for IMO. Gotta fight fire with fire because they come to court with several different varieties of napalm. Which is why the call is coming from inside the house on Donald. If they wanted him in prison he would be in prison. Right now.

1 Like

lollaw

1 Like

I mean to be clear that he had raped them hadn’t been established in any court anywhere. You look at it a certain way (like if you imagine he could be innocent as opposed to what he actually was which is one of the more prolific sexual predators of his era with probably hundreds of victims who weaponized the legal system to avoid consequences for decades) and yeah that conviction is kinda bogus.

The quiet part nobody is saying is that he did most of his crimes in LA and the only way they could ever secure a conviction against him there was by first locking him up on the other side of the country for a couple of years to erode his ability to get away with anything in California.

1 Like

Still gonna go with lollaw

4 Likes

Earlier this month I read this WaPo article (gift link) about Ecuador spiraling into violence because of drug gangs, and today I saw this video on the subject:

A question this makes me wonder: should cocaine be illegal? I don’t even mean from the libertarian “my choice what I put in my body” perspective, but rather, after decades of violence across Central & South America and entire countries being destabilized, how can this cost be justified?

(to the obvious counterargument that this is the policy of Ecuador/Colombia/etc and not ours: sure but we put significant pressure + incentives on them to engage in this fight instead of just letting it happen, right?)

Most people (especially politicians) seem to approach politics as if there is one correct policy for everything and the best solution is to have the whole world (or at least the whole country) adopt it. I have a very strong fundamental disagreement with this viewpoint for a number of reasons, but the drug war is a perfect example of how it can fail horribly. We forced the whole world to adopt an extremely flawed and ineffective policy with awful side effects and essentially disallowed any country from exploring other options with the threat of war and CIA coups and economic sanctions.

I think that people ought to be able to choose what they put in their bodies and I would personally like to live in a place where I can use cannabis and, on rare occasion, responsibly consume other drugs without being a criminal. I can also understand wanting to raise your children in a place where drug use is not tolerated and people are not allowed full bodily autonomy. There is room in the world for a spectrum of (drug) policies, and there is no way to discover which ones work “best” in the real world unless they are allowed to be enacted. Furthermore, if you really want to live in a place with little drug use, allowing the people who are going to use drugs, regardless of policy, a society in which they can freely exist is the easiest way to get them away from you. Admittedly, this has game theory issues similar to the issues surrounding homelessness but drugs being totally FFA in very few places is probably an optimal outcome.

Regardless of where you stand on personal drug use, it is obvious that the drug policies of the Central and South American countries, as dictated to them by the US/EU, are a failure on every level. The state’s power to impact the forces of supply and demand is limited; the effect of disrupting supply is primarily an increase in price. Drugs are still plentiful everywhere and cheap for non-addicts, while being very expensive for addicts, who have an inelastic demand curve for drugs.

So, we have destabilized an entire region in exchange for an x% increase in the price of drugs, which corresponds to a <<x% decrease in the quantity demanded, directly increasing income for drug cartels. Additionally, supply crackdowns inevitably result in a shift towards more potent and dangerous drugs that can be smuggled more cost-effectively - i.e. fentanyl vs opium. The effect of making drugs expensive for addicts probably has very little impact on the incidence of drug addiction, by the time your costs rise due to tolerance, you are already addicted. Much of the real costs of addiction are nonmonetary, but the expense, as well as demand-side policies, do make an addiction much more likely to ruin your life.

In my opinion, what our drug policies have done to these countries (and/or communities within the US) would not be justified if it eradicated drug addiction from the world entirely. Given that it has done approximately jack shit on that front, I fail to see how anyone could support the continuation of the drug war without a perverse morality or a fundamental misunderstanding of the actual, real-world effects.

It guarantees the existence of powerful worldwide criminal organizations that will corrupt governments and cause havoc. It is directly responsible for a large number of people who would otherwise be productive citizens turning to a life of crime. The drug war is the primary excuse we have used to interfere in the politics of our southern neighbors, forcing them to adopt policies which are blatantly contrary to the best interests of their own people. At home, it distorts the mission of law-enforcement, poisoning their relationship with the segments of society most likely to be victims of crime, has perpetuated racial inequality more than any other policy in the modern era and was the main cause of civil liberties being taken away pre-9/11.

Ending the drug war does not mean that heroin needs to be sold at every 7-11, there’s a whole lot of middle ground to be explored.

3 Likes

WaPo gift link for a crazy story: An assassination plot on American soil reveals a darker side of Modi’s India

I don’t know how well it’s communicated by the media that Modi is basically a Putin or Orban analogue, but yeah

India is part of an expanding roster of countries employing tactics previously associated with China, Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and other repressive regimes. It is a trend fueled by factors ranging from surging strains of nationalism and authoritarianism to the spread of social media and spyware that both empower and endanger dissident groups.

Elliott Abrams (who did crimes for Iran-Contra before being pardoned by GHWB) engaged in the most classic of blunders: talking to Isaac Chotiner

non-paywall link