Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

By contrast, this election appears not close at all (a Reuters article said the current, unofficial count is ~75% for the union).

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/GraigMeyer/status/1781471558051020963?t=8cjWn4VJv3_r7Om4ErR2xg&s=19

29 posts were split to a new topic: 2024 Campus Protests: Freeze Peach Under Attack (By Cops)

God I love this guy and I fucking hate the college board

Haha says mister u Chicago who clearly got dinged by every ivy (not that he’s wrong)

https://x.com/natesilver538/status/1782113251846709629?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

To a degree I think he’s right. If you’re a hyper elite overachiever it’s probably worth going into hock to go to (some) ivies, MIT, Stanford but no way you should finance any 2nd tier private school vs going to a top tier state school.

Like if you’re thinking about eg Vanderbilt and you don’t have a trust fund you’re a mark

3 Likes

I’m wondering if there going to end up with a super prominent U shaped distribution of parental income at private places, like either your getting a full ride or your getting buildings named after your Dad.

Although PSLF an interesting wrinkle. Say you want to go to Vandy to be a teacher, probably doesnt matter if tuition is 10k or 500k as far as your payments go,

I don’t even know about that, but admittedly it’s entirely anecdotal. My wife fucking hated princeton. I hated the people there too.

I hated it too. But I will say, 20 years into my career, the name brand really helps.

This is absolutely true. Other than the ivies and Tier 1’s, there is zero reason to go to a tier 2 or tier 3 private school when you can go to an equivalent state one for a quarter to an eighth the price.

Edit: This obviously varies from state to state. There are California state schools obviously that are as prestigious as ivies whereas I don’t know how much a degree from the University of Idaho or Oklahoma is worth.

It matters because federal student aid is capped (or at least it was), and private loans aren’t covered by PSLF.

1 Like

not sure what her enjoyment level has to do with it

Personally I think about half a dozen or so schools are worth moving mountains for, financially speaking. Maybe a couple more than that. I told my kids if they are Harvard material, we’ll get it done. Failing that, it’s the UC system (most of which now requires a ~4.0, so that’s getting very tough), Cal State system, or the WUE program (state schools in Western states at a discount). My older kid now goes to Washington State University and is having a great experience. My degree is from Washington University in St. Louis, which is pretty highly sought after these days. I truly don’t think there’s a big market difference between WSU and WashU undergrad. In some ways I could argue that my kid is getting a better experience/more opportunities at WSU because the competition is frankly thinner and it’s easier to stand out.

That makes sense, forgot about that

1 Like

I went to undergrad that’s small and expensive, that doesn’t have a terribly big name but that gave me a great education. I loved it, but it was probably a mistake, as having subsequently gone to grad school and done a postdoc, most people care about where you last were, not where you started. That may be less true for two alums meeting, but that’s then a further argument against going to a small private school. Hopefully my girls will see the sense in going to UO.

Has he been there in the winter yet?

Through this football season at least IIRC.

1 Like

Yes, he just spent his first winter there. I think it snowed a couple of weekends ago :joy:

All-in-all it doesn’t sound that bad, and it definitely taught him to appreciate Los Angeles a little bit - both for the weather and the unbelievable wealth of excellent ethnic food we enjoy here.

2 Likes