Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

https://x.com/ScottSeiss/status/1793999354078089387

2 Likes

4 Likes

Calling shenanigans on this poll. 0% chance that’s real.

I could maybe buy the pot number but the alcohol one feels way low.

I was also skeptical but it seems like they are specifically referring to “intensive” I.e., daily or near-daily use.

Which sort of makes sense to me because while more people use alcohol, most are no longer engaged in Don Draper levels of daily consumption.

Daily and near-daily marijuana use is now more common than similar levels of drinking in the U.S., according to an analysis of national survey data over four decades.

Alcohol is still more widely used, but 2022 was the first time this intensive level of marijuana use overtook high-frequency drinking, said the study’s author, Jonathan Caulkins, a cannabis policy researcher at Carnegie Mellon University.

1 Like

Nah, it’s been accepted in mainstream society for like a generation, the laws just don’t change because American democracy is broken.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/glnoronha/status/1794022590077341910

Seems like archetypal :worstperson: if you ask me.

2 Likes

We have such a gun problem in this country that I think this is a case of fuck around and find out. I have zero sympathy for all these people who are part of the problem of why I worry about my kids being shot in their schools.

Umm…

Growing up I got relatively close with my family dentist, who is Armenian. That is a group that has had a really tough lot, historically speaking.

You might want to reassess your priors here…. Sub in “Italian” everywhere you wrote “Armenian” and set it, oh, 40 years ago. If you don’t feel comfortable with that, maybe you should reassess this?

1 Like

Of course, something lost in all of this sometimes is that smoking pot is really bad for you. Certainly not as bad as alcoholism, and less bad than cigarette smoke, but still bad nonetheless. I hate to be that ho hum lady from SNL, but this is not really a good thing.

We’ve finally gotten to a place as a society where smoking tobacco is viewed poorly. I hope we can get there with pot as well. It shouldn’t be illegal, but it shouldn’t be encouraged or widely seen as socially acceptable either. I guess it’ll probably take us decades to get there just like it did for cigarettes.

It’s funny you bring that up because I’m 100% confident that 45 years ago if I were in the exact same job I’m in now I would have felt the same way about Italians. I wouldn’t have been able to avoid them of course because the Teamsters Union ran the entire industry and if you didn’t do what they wanted they’d have you hurt, but it’s a very accurate comparison.

Look I would have made the exact same post you did before I experienced what it’s like to be a real target for an ethnic mafia… now I think if a small immigrant community wants to keep its reputation intact it needs to do some self policing or people will treat you like whatever you tolerate is a thing your community is fine with. With how large operations are in Glendale is basically impossible to pretend isn’t the case with the community of Armenians in Glendale. We’re talking about hundreds to possibly 1000+ people directly involved in a constant day to day basis and all the people those people know. It’s every Armenian in Glendale knowing at least one of these people on a first name basis as well as probably a pretty good idea of what they do for money. It’s call centers with thousands of employees in Yerevan as well obviously. There aren’t enough Armenians on planet earth for the %'s to be all that low given the scale of just their cargo fraud/theft business. And when anyone talks about it and asks what it looks like from the Armenian side they almost universally make excuses for the scammer and blame the victim. Which is a big part of why these particular scammers are Armenian and not something else I suspect. They have a white collar upper middle class community that for some reason acts like an ethnic ghetto a century ago.

Are you sure about that? For one, don’t people mix marijuana with tobacco anyway? People smoking marijuana also usually also take much deeper puffs than with tobacco.

Pot user does not equal smoker. I’d be curious if there’s any stats on the types of pot use. Anecdotally, of the few pot users I know, they all basically never smoke anymore. This is another positive impact of legalization imo. Making edible forms more widely available and with more accurate dosing.

1 Like

Is that common? I’m sure it’s done but I’ve never seen it.

I’ve done it but that was 15-20 years ago and I don’t ever see anyone do it now. A lot of users in my experience now don’t smoke flower or if they do they vape it. Edibles, vape juice, vape flower are probably the dominant methods of consumption now.

The smokers I know do it that way. I assumed it’s how people commonly consume it.

Even the people I know that do smoke weed (and it’s just weed in a wrapper, no tobacco) will usually just take a couple of hits of a prerolled joint then put it out and save the rest for a few hours later. It’s not like cigarettes where people are regularly smoking 20+ a day.

I assume you are a Euro, because those guys love to pass around gross spliffs. In USA#1 this is extremely uncommon and nowadays everyone is puffing on vape pens or eating edibles anyways.