Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Flying is the fucking worst. Like just the absolute worst.

1 Like

Goddamit my parents are flying in today.

1 Like

It’s this.

I somewhat enjoyed NJR’s review of Prince Harry’s memoir (minus the digression where he spends way too long reviewing the mathematical proof he and Chomsky established that the Taliban wasn’t responsible for 9/11, just link the article and stick to the subject at hand my dude):

Still, while Mountbatten-Windsor has broken with the Royal Family, don’t assume he has become an opponent of monarchy. Harry makes it clear that “My problem has never been with the monarchy, nor the concept of monarchy. It’s been with the press and the sick relationship that’s evolved between it and the Palace.” Indeed, Prince Harry’s problems are all personal and have very little to do with general principles. He is upset that he and his wife have been targeted by the press. He isn’t a principled critic of the existence of a ruling family; in fact, he would have enjoyed being part of one, if it weren’t so dysfunctional as to be intolerable.

two_words

I guess CNN’s answer to this is “Special Counsel” but I think there are better answers.

“Veto-Proof Majority”
“Incoming ICBMs”
“Justice Giuliani”
“Dairy Inflation” :coolbiden:

1 Like

80% of historical average now

I’m officially over the rain.

1 Like

it’s rained for like a month straight, CA gotta be the only place in the world that can be in drought after that.

Most of the water’s just flowing back to the ocean and causing mudslides and flooding on its way.

1 Like

Sure but the drought tracker has shown huge improvements. Reservoirs are way up too

ca is fine, these days for drought doom graphs you gotta check out mead and powell. rain doesn’t make it up therre, so i think levels aren’t going up at least until the colorado snowpack starts melting. over the last couple of weeks it looks like water is being drained from powell into mead, no net gains yet

Oh yeah, we’re catching some of the trillions of gallons we’re getting slammed with, it’s just that the ground is so dry already that outside of reservoirs the water’s just wreaking havoc instead of replenishing groundwater and what not. My commute goes past Lexington reservoir and its outflow creek goes right by my apartment so I get pretty regular visual updates of how things are going locally, the real test is how long we can hang on to this water once the storms stop. Last year was so dry they stopped releasing water from the reservoir and let the creek dry up and right now it’s a nice wide muddy river situation.

Trump was onto something:

“Can you imagine a state being rationed when you have millions and millions and millions of gallons being poured out into the Pacific Ocean that you could have. And you’d have more water than you knew what to do with. It’s crazy,” he said.

We just pour it all out into the ocean! So reckless!

1 Like

laugh it up but this is basically the entire premise of a bit I’m working on

Make sure it includes raking the forest floor.

Re: earlier water discussions, I’ve read a couple articles about this, one I think last month about how this was going to happen, and now it has:

Arizona city cuts off a neighborhood’s water supply amid drought

This grim forecast prompted Scottsdale to warn Rio Verde Foothills more than a year ago that their water supply would be cut off. City officials stressed their priority was to their own residents and cast Rio Verde Foothills as a boomtown of irresponsible development, fed by noisy water trucks rumbling over city streets. “The city cannot be responsible for the water needs of a separate community especially given its unlimited and unregulated growth,” the city manager’s office wrote in December.

The residents are very mad and fighting with each other, unable to agree on one of two plans to get some kind of water service.

Water update from my local park:

Note that this isn’t actually flooding. Our parks double as water collection and runoff containment things. Pretty sure there’s a well nearby too.

They don’t expect this to happen often though, as evidenced by the bench

2 Likes

The WaPo article is pretty good, this is from about 6 months ago and has more depth.

Definitely not a surprise, now it just seems like a lot of residents can’t believe they got cut off. Seems like a lot of them feel entitled to a luxurious suburban lifestyle on land that just doesn’t have the infrastructure for it.

2 Likes

The craziest bit to me is that it seems like they could actually solve this problem if they worked together, but they don’t because they’re all basically borodogs circa 2012. Form the water district, or let your neighbor share your well.

Really interesting read though. Thanks for posting it.

2 Likes

The treatment of residents is a fucking disgrace.

2 Likes

I’ve been shocked the last few years by the large numbers of people moving to Arizona. The writing was on the wall. Maybe the big cities have the infrastructure to be ok, although at some point there’s just no water. But choosing to buy/build in this particular area was especially asinine.