Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

2 Likes

is the extra “8” in the username supposed to throw us off the scent?

1 Like

Hardcore Drugs

1 Like

What is the fuss, 62.62 is not bad for summer

(please harold)

only hits

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1676458031721357312?s=20

2 Likes

This is top tier political trolling.

Guy vetoed the red parts, changing the end date to the year 2425.

2 Likes

Upper Midwest has some pretty elite Dem governors. Unfortunately, WI was allowed to be gerrymandered to guarantee a consistent Republican legislature.

There’s also the obvious issue of very liberal cities and being crazy deplorable everywhere else.

1 Like

LOL that’s brilliant (and I couldn’t be mad at all if a court struck that down like “come on man” but still A++ stuff)

There’s no way that’s legal.

WI governor has the most powerful veto pen in the country. Pretty sure it’s 100% legal.

But could he just mark out like 90% letters in the bill to say “Governor salary is 2 billion dollars”

From what I’ve read back when they first got the power the answer was probably yes, but it seems like it’s been weakened a few times so they can’t quite go that far.

1 Like

Lol that’s pretty wild, feel like everyone needs a team of cryptographers on staff (or some special software) to defend against and look for these opportunities.

Funny thing to me is that people have realized this stuff is pretty crazy enough to amend their constitution a few times but they still haven’t reigned it in

—-
Voters adopted a constitutional amendments in 1990 and 2008 that took away the ability to strike individual letters to make new words — the “Vanna White” veto — and eliminated the power to eliminate words and numbers in two or more sentences to create a new sentence — the “Frankenstein” veto. Numerous court decisions have also narrowed the veto power.
—-

New math. Oxymoron.

1 Like

I don’t get it. The “New Math” in NY is essentially teaching my daughter algebra (they don’t call it that, but it’s definitely algebra) in first and second grade. In California they don’t learn it till 9th grade?

Yes. When I was in school you had the option to take algebra 1 as early as 7th grade - that got changed to 8th, iirc, back then a kid on that track could be taking college math by senior year - now they force them all to take it together in 9th. The effect is the opposite of what is intended - instead of giving equity to lower income students, it just sets them further back, because the privileged students will be taking extra courses and classes outside of school.

If you start algebra in 9th grade you are hopelessly behind in math compared to the rest of the developed world.

https://twitter.com/LPNH/status/1677840648857157632?s=20

That’s probably true even if you take it in 8th grade.

My small town didn’t offer Algebra until 9th grade.

Last few weeks of senior year were an intro to calculus.

I’d dont think I learned a single thing in math in middle school.