Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1693352879367561613?s=20

5 Likes

Long article about a Bay Area kid who fucked around with doing edgelord racism for the lulz and found out (along with his friends who followed along for the ride, and the chaos it caused at their school):

non-paywall link

2 Likes

This was a good read for me as I was exposed to one of these little shits just a few days ago. My coworker brought his early teenage kids to work and one of them had a whole library of offensive jokes memorized. Similar in tone to the memes described in the article. Punchlines about killing and/or dehumanizing minorities, LGBTQ, even one about animal cruelty. Only recognizable as “jokes” because of the structure, certainly not the content. Even the kid didn’t seem to find them humorous, he just seemed proud to rapid fire recite them all as if it was a unique talent, like he was naming all the state capitals.

My takeaway from the article is that kids get exposed to so much of this content they don’t even realize it’s harmful until someone is harmed, and the adults in the room (to include myself) are incapable of stopping the spread of it or educating kids about the toxicity of it or responding to the aftermath. The best I could come up with was to sit there stonefaced, acting unfazed but also unentertained. Since then I’ve been thinking about whether there was anything more substantive I could’ve said but I’m basically a boomer to this kid and I think if I gave him any indication I was offended it would just encourage him. I’m feeling that administrator’s bewilderment, like it’s clear there’s a problem, I’m not sure if there’s anything you can do about it on an individual level that doesn’t fuel it though.

Boomers literally broke america.

https://x.com/kobeissiletter/status/1693748037246464417?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

How aren’t home prices falling of a cliff? Guess people don’t want to sell because getting a new loan would suck so bad?

Seems like it has to be this and people are still employed so they can generally still afford to pay their current mortgage. The only way housing comes down is if we see a massive unemployment spike or increases in development.

Minneapolis-St Paul have curbed inflation better than any other larger metro area in the country. I don’t know if it’s true but I’ve seen people attribute that to an increase in condo/apartment development. I know Minneapolis eliminated single family zoning laws a few years ago.

There is a massive supply shortage in the places people want to live, exacerbated by NIMBY and a lack of building. Over half the publicly traded home builders went bankrupt in 2009 and their borrowing costs are now prohibitive.

1 Like

Still absolutely do not regret using my money to buy a big pile of stocks instead of a dumb house.

1 Like

I had a Russian econ professor in college who described what it was like as a guy who worked for the KGB trading oil to get hard currency in his late 20’s / early 30’s right as the wall fell… and he said that in the time leading up to the collapse things had stopped working in some pretty significant ways, but that everyone alive had grown up in the context of soviet society… so despite things not working anymore it continuing forever felt inevitable. Even when you ascended the ranks and got to see how things were working from the inside it still felt so big that nothing could make it change even a little bit.

Anyway I didn’t fully get it at the time but I think I do now.

1 Like

My friend saw some teenagers (his gf’s kid and friends) doing this on his home security camera so he made it very awkward. He asked them to explain the jokes, and kept asking: why is this funny?
His gf refused to watch the video. She didn’t want to know what her son and his friends were saying.

2 Likes

I am invested in MHO. They currently have no debt and $670 million in cash. They spent $205 million in Q2 on lots and development, so they have enough cash on hand to fund operations for quite some time if rates remain high.

Plenty of home builders are probably in trouble, but others could take advantage of that and grow quite a bit.

All that said, I’m not sure I’d be buying MHO at current prices. I’m up over 100% in the name and holding, I would probably take some profit off the table if I owned a home. I like being a little overweight on homebuilders because I continue to be blocked out of home ownership.

well yeah, smart homes are all the rage now. No one is buying dumb houses anymore

My god who is this dumbfuck who lied to the feds to cover for Donald Trump? This man just added like five years to his sentence for no reason at all --Donald Trump is never rewarding him for not flipping, this complete utter moron. You should flip on Donald Trump immediately, you should not lie and then say “oh, that was a lie.”

1 Like

Has anyone been following the homeowners insurance crisis in Florida closely? What’s the end game here? Given my aforementioned investment in MHO, and given that they have a few communities they’re building in Florida, I’m wondering how worried I should be?

From what I gather, the problem isn’t really climate change - that’s a small part of it. It’s actually some stupid law that led to all the roofing scams? Which makes sense, because even though the long-term outlook for Florida on climate change is dire, it’s not like hurricanes are just non-stop wrecking inland homes right now, so why not keep insuring them?

So as a result of the scams, some insurers pulled out and now the taxpayer funded backstop insurance is overexposed and if (when ldo) a big hurricane hits, they’re going to have to levy a statewide insurance tax to bail it out. It appears this would be about 2%? So not that awful… But it would drive up the backstop insurance premiums by like 45%, which seems pretty bad, but also could be the impetus to fix the problem?

I guess the big question in that event becomes, who is stuck with the Citizens Property Insurance backstop insurance? I assume mostly people in coastal areas and areas where the rates of the scams are super high? Anyone know where I can find a map or something? If I know that MHO’s communities are safely being insured on the private market, the investment should be fine still.

Am I missing anything else? And is there going to be any other fallout when they have to jack their rates by 45%? Seems like that could be pretty catastrophic for certain regions and may affect other businesses?

Why would a legitimate insurance company come back to Florida? 50 year storms happen more often than biz-buzz and have the potential to bankrupt your company. It seems like if there was a lot of opportunity for profit there they would have done the math already and stayed.

I mean if they can charge high enough premiums to insure profitably at current risk levels, they’d return. There’s also a big difference between insuring oceanfront homes and homes 10 miles inland.

1 Like

The state of Florida’s problems with insurance companies aren’t getting resolved ever. The next largest industry in the state after tourism is fraud lol.

It will eventually get socialized with rich coastal homeowners being the biggest beneficiaries of course.

Would have to be federal the state can’t raise the money without economically ruining the state (and those taxes being the end of the political careers of every person who was even a little involved).

The history books are going to be pretty puzzled about how the state government of FL pretended climate change wasn’t real until well after the point where it had ruined the appeal of the state. They’re also going to be confused why they treated insurance companies so poorly.

I’m not a huge fan of huge corporations so you have to be pretty damn unreasonable to them before I start taking their side… on big insurance vs the state of FL big insurance is in the right and it’s not even a little close. The states insurance regulators basically refused to let them charge premiums that made any sense and every reputable carrier exited the state years ago. When you pass regulations on a business that is pretty necessary to modern capitalism functioning that cause everyone but the ‘we’re just going to go bankrupt if something bad happens we’re basically a shell company lol’ players to leave you’re in the wrong.

Anyway my point is FL is bad and getting worse and the FO segment of the process has already begun in earnest.

Continuing to develop coastal real estate in Florida is fucking insane. Soon enough no lender will finance this stuff on top of it being uninsurable.

1 Like