Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

I’m not sure we want to be encouraging the idea that people can just execute on sight anybody they think might be a dangerous fugitive.

1 Like

Fyp

I agree completely in general. But I think this case is the exception not the rule. Dude killed someone in Brazil, fled and evaded arrest, snuck into the US, killed his girlfriend by stabbing her 38 times in front of her kids, tried to flee, got caught and convicted, broke out of jail, and has evaded hundreds of police for almost two weeks while breaking perimeters they had him contained in at least twice, while breaking into numerous houses.

The area he’s believed to be in is crawling with hundreds of cops. It’s like 10 square miles with 400 and growing members of law enforcement. There are check points in and out and all the roads are closed to anyone who doesn’t live there. There aren’t going to be any random break-ins in there. If someone breaks into your house, and they’re a short Latino man, they’re him.

This is the exact type of scenario where an exception to not encouraging that makes sense.

Sounds like an argument to let the cops handle him.

I see where you’re coming from, and maybe it’s easier to say from a thousand miles away, but if some local finds Cavalcante sleeping in his barn and just shoots him in the face, I’m not going to be celebrating that.

So far he’s slipped their perimeter twice. The first time they only found out by ring camera footage miles away. The second time they just widened the perimeter and didn’t acknowledge it. They’re making a mockery of themselves.

Last night a cop was injured in the search - he was guarding the perimeter, his car overheated, and he opened the radiator and it burned his face.

The gross incompetence of everyone involved is an argument for someone, anyone, ending this as soon as they get the chance.

I’m against the death penalty, but this is not akin to police “shooting a fleeing suspect.” This is “shooting a convicted murderer who just escaped from prison and has nothing to lose and has broken into your house, and holy shit just took your rifle with a scope, and holy shit holy shit he’s got your fucking rifle and he’s on your property and he’s a convicted murdered Jesus christ I hope I’m not about to die and he’s not about to murder my family…”

The two are not remotely similar.

Who is the “we” here? From the point of view of a law enforcement officer trying to stop a fleeing suspect? Sure, don’t fuckign shoot him in the back. From the point of some random civilian who finds this guy in his fucking house stealing his rifle? Nah, I’m fine with that civilian taking shots at him. Breaking into someone’s house and stealing their rifle when there is a convicted murderer on the loose (and you are that murderer!) is fucking dangerous. If you don’t want to be shot, don’t do it.

Yeah, @LouisCyphre, out of curiosity, when is the homeowner in this situation justified in taking a shot in your view? (Ignoring for a moment that this homeowner chucklefuck put himself into this situation by owning guns in the first place, I’ll give you that). If he stops running away? If he turns around? If he raises the gun? If he points it? If he fires it? What if each of those steps includes an increasing nonzero percentage that the homeowner and or his family is murdered? At what relative percentage of risk is the homeowner justified in this situation in firing?

Sorry for the stream of posts here, but retreat where exactly? Even the most liberal anti-stand your ground blue states don’t require someone to retreat further when already in their own home.

1 Like

Birdshot will deter 99.9% of home invasions if it isn’t defused by you cocking a shotgun and pointing it at them.

I keep mace handy, it’s more effective than a gun in most situations and can’t also be used to kill you

uh, I’m going to be doing some research

I agree with this 100 percent. That’s not the scenario that happened here though.

This headline seems like an extremely awkward and forced way to slut shame someone for having an onlyfans

Law enforcement is authorized to shoot him in the back, and they should.

Yeah if I found him sleeping in my barn, I’d seriously consider just killing him. A lot can go wrong by me calling the police (could wake him up) and waiting (he could kill me and my family). The guy has evaded 400 or so cops for two weeks, slipping away repeatedly. To think he’s safely contained and not a threat as a regular citizen in almost any situation seems risky to me.

I don’t know what kind of training this guy has, but the fact that he’s made it this far tells me he’s a fucking dangerous dude in any scenario. I mean it’s safe to say there’s a 0.0% chance anyone would be convicted for shooting him in his sleep and like a 5% chance they’d even be charged for it. So if what we’re discussing is the morals, I’d argue it safes more Sklansky Lives than it takes away, and that’s before adjusting for the relative value of the saved versus taken Sklansky lives.

I think we can be against something 99.99% of the time and still admit that this is that one time that is almost always super theoretical that we should completely ignore when enacting laws and staking out our political stances. And that’s what jury nullification is for, I guess.

well yeah she’s a democrat and the GOP oppo research team found out about this, so… yeah exactly

1 Like

kind of a serious question, are they authorized to shoot “him” in the back, or “anyone believed to be him?” and if the latter, (approximately) how sure do they have to be it’s him to be authorized?

1 Like

That’s a great question. They’ve just said “him” as far as I know, and I don’t think details beyond that are publicly known. That said, this area is almost completely shut down for the manhunt.

No idea the technical answer but practically the world is results oriented, if they shoot the right guy by luck despite not having adequate evidence I’m sure nobody would care and if they shoot the wrong guy unluckily despite having massive reason to believe it was him there would be obvious outrage

1 Like

yeah you would have to be really dumb to try to break into a house in this environment, you would almost deserve whatever you got