Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

So a live streamer just accidentally breached the perimeter, then eventually got stopped and sent back out. He was like “We’re INSIDE the perimeter? Sorry guys!”

Which really doesn’t say a lot about the cops ability to hold down a perimeter when a dude’s driving through it without realizing it while streaming on YouTube.

And as a followup to this, it’s really not hard to imagine a scenario where a vigilante shoots the wrong guy, thinking it was the right guy, and we all tee off on him like “lol, racist POS just sees a brown person and starts blasting, this is why too many people have guns and SYG laws are bad” etc etc. As poker players, we should all recognize that the difference between shooting the right guy and shooting the wrong guy is purely results-oriented! This is a point I think Louis was making well earlier.

Sure. I don’t support shooting alleged murderers running away. The key for me is that he had a gun, not that he may likely have been a guy convicted of violent crimes. I would much rather we had gun control such that a situation like this was exceedingly unlikely, but this is still America. I don’t exactly trust the cops to be any better shots. They may be worse.

Was there even that much outrage about these cops?

1 Like

Man I’d just nope the fuck out of there and literally run for the hills calling 911. Grab the family and hop in the car and gtfo or just hoof it.

But then again I wouldn’t have a gun. I have no clue what kind of mental toll executing someone would have and jeez if you happened to be wrong…nope nope gl have fun.

I might if I lived on a farm, but yeah, hard to kind of put myself in their shoes.

If someone matching his description is sleeping in your barn and has a sawed off rifle with a scope next to him, which is what he stole, the odds it’s him are like 99.99999999%.

1 Like

Like I was saying people are results oriented so if one of them had actually died I’m sure people would have been more pissed. That being said I do think world is different now than it was 10 years ago as far as the level of emotional response people have due to social media so if this happens in PA tomorrow or something it would be a big fucking deal

Was it really a “sawed-off” rifle with a scope? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. lol America.

That’s murder.

To not muddle this up with all the different scenarios that are possible I will for simplicity’s sake go with when the criminal is not running away or one has the criminal in your sights while he is not pointing the rifle in your general direction and he complies with your commands (“Freeze. Drop the rifle. Get down on the ground.”)

I disagree with CommonWealth that one gets to kill people if it means there is a non-zero chance to get hurt or even killed. I won’t hold random citizens to the same standard as police officers but that is not carte blanche to just execute someone.

2 Likes

Cavalcante captured alive by police.

1 Like

Meanwhile, Mexico’s government is producing world-class content.

https://x.com/AJEnglish/status/1701943813957439498?s=20

3 Likes

ACAB

https://x.com/shehanjeyarajah/status/1701660408023589008?s=46&t=mdG4vqCfpbP4Xp4esdQ98A

1 Like

I believe it was a shorter rifle but I don’t think it was literally sawed off. But this was basically in that area where the Philly exurbs end and Pennsyltucky begins, so all bets are off.

There was a K9 heavily involved in the capture. We are not at liberty to discuss poppy the chihuahuas whereabouts this morning.

2 Likes

I would argue that a sleeping escaped murderer trespassing your property with a loaded gun next to him is a threat that makes a reasonable person fear for their life even while he’s asleep. He could be faking, or he could to from asleep to pointing a gun at you in 2-3 seconds. As a layman I don’t want to bet on my skills against his in a gunfight or in holding him safely, not when the stakes are our lives.

You don’t wanna get shot in your sleep by a reasonable person, don’t kill two people, run from the cops three times, escape jail, outrun the cops for two weeks while breaking into homes, and steal a gun along the way then trespass someone’s property and sleep next to said stolen gun.

This sucks man, AV Club used to be cool and interesting. AI was supposed to automate manual labor, instead it’s sending creative people to work in an Amazon warehouse while returning nothing of value.

1 Like

You sound too far confident in this take.

It’s not to hard to see the unemployment rate going up 40-50% like he said (or even more). And he’s right about governments (i.e. the rich class) all around the world trying to make that happen.

They raised interest rates to the point it’s going to blow up the commercial real estate bubble and it didn’t work. The banks are already lobbying hard for interest rates to go down not up.

Ultimately you can only restrict market forces so much. Labor has been very cheap for the last 50 years because it has been totally abundant with new developing nations popping up ready to be exploited for their cheap labor every few years… that trade now has European and Asian competition and the quantity of remaining places to carry it out is quite low.

Shipping stuff halfway around the world only makes sense if something at the other end is much cheaper or much better than what can be done locally. The labor has to be so much cheaper that it justifies paying a truck to haul it from a factory in a developing country across usually profoundly mediocre infrastructure, paying at least one bribe, loading it onto a ship, sending that ship to Long Beach, hiring a drayage carrier to pick the container up from the port and then bring it back, paying a warehouse to transload/store the shipment onto some kind of truck, and then having that truck drive all the way to your warehouse to drop it off. Something happening in that foreign country had better be a lot cheaper to make that make sense. Labor being 85% cheaper is the kind of thing that makes that entire transaction pencil out. Labor being 15-20% cheaper because of a strong dollar does not.

So a whole bunch of manufacturing jobs are headed for the US (and Mexico but there’s a ton of development happening in both places). The manufacturers won’t care a whole lot about the fact that they’re driving up labor costs at the bottom of the economy because labor as a % of their cogs just isn’t as big of a deal as it is for restaurants/hotels/etc. For them they know they need X employees and what that would cost was one of the things they considered when they decided to locate the plant.

That entire outsourcing trade is unwinding at the same time as our population is rapidly aging. If you think somehow it’s possible to arrange some kind of political solution to raising labor costs (speaking from the perspective of the very wealthy) I just don’t agree. It’s just not happening.

6 Likes

Appreciate the response.

Manufacturing employment numbers are up, but still way below what they were in 2008 (not to mention the many decades before that). How much of a jump are you expecting?

My main question is what’s going to happen if people just stop buying stuff? Everything is expensive, there’s less government assistance available, and student loans are about to restart.

Plus people seemed to have gotten accustomed to shittier everything over the past 3 years (service, quality, etc). Why pay for more employees when you can just run everything short staffed?

Sorry but this is a really bad take. In a just world, anyone who does this:

get shot in your sleep

deserves to be in prison, in a cell between Kyle Rittenhouse and George Zimmerman.