Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

I’m expecting it to keep growing at this pace or higher for at least another decade. Honestly I think this party is just getting started.

The problem with just run everything short staffed is that it’s a short term strategy that erodes rapidly… and we’re well into the find out part of that cycle with employees.

1 Like

Are we? What used to be short staffing just seems like the norm these days.

It could be that I’m not understanding what you mean by the “find out part”. What has been/will be happening exactly?

Anyone who turns their back on an escaped convicted murderer with a rifle to call the police to take him back to jail is risking ending up six feet under.

As more Boomers retire with fewer younger workers to replace them, the upward pressure on wages should increase, and since the corporations are already running things short-staffed, they don’t have much room to adjust farther. Thus, quality erodes even further until people stop accepting it.

The only obvious solution here is more immigration, but that’s a non starter in the current political meta of USA#1.

Right. And my thinking is that we have much further to go before “people stop accepting it”.

The labor movement resurgence would suggest otherwise. So would the very real gains lower wage workers have made. The teaching/nursing shortages also don’t bode well for the ‘workers will put up with more’ school of thought.

The bottom line is that the economy has never served working people well during the 24 years I’ve been involved with it, and the public awareness of that fact has never been greater.

1 Like

3 Likes

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1701629288808694150?s=20

What was that device used in the French Revolution?

Yeah thing is if moving the factory to Mexico was the right move they would have already done it. All of these guys act like freight costs don’t exist. I can assure all of you that they do lol.

EDIT: I feel like a lot of people don’t realize that on most cheap/heavy products transportation costs are a significantly more important factor than labor. The only situation where labor costs can truly overrun transportation cost is when the process for making the product is at least medium labor intensive. That’s why there’s a cement plant within 50 miles of each and every one of us and our clothes are made in Vietnam. The logistical cost concerns are going to dwarf labor costs when it comes to the question of ‘where will we do final assembly on 250,000 cars per year’. Yes assembling the cars is labor intensive but first you must assemble XX,XXX individual parts in a place, and then ship back out 250,000 cars to dealerships around the country one truckload at a time.

To not do that you have to assemble the car in some other fairly developed fairly expensive place (because you need the logistical infrastructure to input all those parts and output all those cars) that somehow is so much cheaper on labor than (checks notes) Detroit, MI or (checks notes again) Ohio/Kentucky…

In an environment where you can’t just snap your fingers and hire new people from the bottomless pit of new hires you have to actually sit down and negotiate with the workers you have. And that negotiation, if the workers have any leverage at all, quickly results in them getting a reasonable % of their total production.

And that last point I know something about. I have a lot of leverage in my line of work because my book of business is attached to me and very portable. You can say you don’t want me and the attached business if you want, but there are literally hundreds of brokerages that would love to tell me whatever I want to hear to get me to give them a try. So if anything my deal is a little unfair, my way, because this is capitalism and I have all the leverage.

In ten years being able to operate a business will be about competing for employees. I would expect the customer service to get quite a bit worse lol.

1 Like

fuck me

https://x.com/KyleKulinski/status/1702386939599401041?s=20

https://x.com/LukewSavage/status/1702432361743515783?s=20

1 Like

Idk where this belongs maybe its own thread but this case is a big deal

I remember this discussion several months ago: Programming or How to Exit Vi Without Rebooting - #96 by TheDudeAbides

and thinking “how havent they been brought into some anti trust thing?”

This is a really bad time for google to get dragged into this. Basically their only defense is that their product is so superior to other search engines that’s how they have so much market share, but at this point in time google’s search is so bad it’s practically been unusable for months unless you’re searching for stuff that is trying to sell you something like “where to buy levi’s near me” and even then it’s remarkably bad at the thing it’s trying to do.

edit: I think I know what must have happened and why this is coming now - lots of evidence the US govt is bringing against google is from internal chats and memos that werent supposed to get saved, but after the mass layoffs and the shitty manner in which google did it, I bet someone (or a dozen) went informant, LOL. Don’t fuck your employees! Especially ones that can fuck you! Especially super smart ones you gave generational wealth to who are very pissed off and can get good lawyers!

1 Like

I was just shopping for some discount Etsy agitprop and regret to report that FAFO has been thoroughly co-opted by the fascists.

1 Like

they found out and then fucked around. shame

In todays duh! news, man portrayed as anti sex trafficking hero in Sound of Freedom was actually using his status to coerce employee/volunteers into compromising positions.

RFK Jr. going independent, seems bad for Trump as he’s likely to peel off more Republicans than Dems.

1 Like

He’s going independent? I think his effect is jack shit either way.

lol these fucking idiots

An LGBTQ-inclusive student mural created inside a Michigan middle school must be painted over by the end of October. The decision, made last week by the local school board, comes nearly a year after the mural ignited backlash from some parents who said it promoted LGBTQ imagery and witchcraft.

@Danspartan You ever hear of Grant, Michigan? Looks like it’s a half hour north of GR and a half hour west of Muskegon. I’ve driven through it, but never spent time there.

I’ve heard the name but never been there. My parents had friends in Coopersville , probably the closest.