Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Ohhh, so someone said “sure I’ll sell you 127 splunk shares for 22,000 at the end of day tomorrow” and then work up to find that those shares weren’t .04$ over the call price but $18.30 and was sad because they lost all of the price increase due to the sale?

2 Likes

Gold bars? WTF?

1 Like

Surprised Pikachu

That MFer was riding around on the PJ of a massive Medicare scamming doctor for years, just a shamelessly corrupt POS

I mean the exact transaction was ‘I’m going to sell this sucker insurance that will expire end of day tomorrow’.

Technically options are supposed to be used like insurance products to hedge things… but obviously if you let people buy fire insurance (including for positive events!) on any building in the world for potentially much more than the building is even worth things are going to get wonky fast. Options are for sure the best way for a not mega wealthy person to monetize inside corporate info before say a merger.

What are the chances anyone gets in any trouble for this?

Pretty good, since he’s a Dem.

1 Like

Good. Gold bars aren’t traceable is probably why. There is exactly one reason for a politician to have 580k in cash equivalents in his home and it’s not great.

I honestly would like to see 10,000x as many searches like this, and do not care in the slightest which party gets impacted.

Let’s be very clear, if you think that a guy with 580k in almost certainly totally off the books cash equivalents in his house is a reliable vote for whatever it is you want done… you’re an idiot and I can’t help you. (not aimed at anyone here I don’t think this is an unpopular take in any way)

Hasn’t Bob Menendez actively fucked us over somehow? I can’t tell these corporate ghouls apart anymore.

EDIT: Of course he’s one of the NJ senators. That makes perfect sense.

1 Like

The feds have like a 95% success rate, if they’re charging Menendez, they have the goods.

1 Like

Didn’t he escape a federal charge previously?

Unless you’re the guy who gave him the $580k

Nobody ever gave a Senator 580k to support good policy. Hilariously if I was a billionaire that is 100% what I would be doing. Unfortunately it’s impossible to become a billionaire while not having a personality disorder of some kind or if you want to be extremely generous being too risk averse to have conflict with other rich/powerful people.

Looking at headlines briefly, the pile of gold gotta be from Egypt right?

I seriously doubt Pfizer or some mega corp is trying to bribe these guys this way. Foreign stuff makes sense and then I was assume like random smaller construction companies getting bridge/sanitation/whatever contracts via him influencing others or something?

“Nooooooo, we can’t have retail stores in liberal Democrat city hell holes! There is too much theft and they won’t throw people in jail forever!”

“Have you tried hiring people and paying them a decent wage?”

https://www.thestreet.com/retailers/lowes-has-an-answer-for-target-and-walmarts-theft-problems

1 Like

Kind of also gives more evidence that most “shrinkage” is employees stealing your shit, and not shoplifting, and that if you pay your employees well and treat them well, they won’t steal your shit.

2 Likes

The very existence of billionaires shows us that we have an economy that is working for the benefit of the few, and not the many,” Fain said. “It feels like we’ve gone so far backwards that we have to fight just to have the 40-hour workweek back. Why is that? So another asshole can make enough money to shoot himself to the moon?”

1 Like

Time to get those Tesla autoworkers in the union.

1 Like

They are treated like such shit too. I treat them in the er for work injuries all the time

Tesla workers? Needs to be a major story. I work in large chemical plants and workplace injuries are rare.

https://x.com/agordonreed/status/1705687299403510071?s=46

They’re generally overuse injuries, not major stuff. They also show up because they need a doctors note for any sort of time off