Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

She should run for president

Seriously

https://x.com/noliewithbtc/status/1706099138201256428?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

2 Likes

She’s not old enough yet.

Also let’s see some results before we say crazy stuff like that.

She endorsed Bredesen in 2018 and that didn’t help.

She would be 35 on inauguration day 2025, so I take that part back.

Still think it’s a bad idea in general.

I don’t want anyone that rich to be president ever again.

1 Like

Seems like a good general principle, although kinda hard to come up with a more ethical way to make that much money than people happily giving it to you. I don’t think the usual disclaimer of multi 100 millionaire inherently being sociopaths really applies to athletes/artists. Obviously lot of them support shitty policies though to try to get richer

We should absolutely not normalize Hollywood celebs getting into politics.

3 Likes

Look I’ve given TS inc a lot of money over the last year so I feel like I have a right to talk at least a little bit of shit… it is very hard to see where Taylor Swift the brand ends and Taylor Swift the human being begins. It is entirely possible that every good thing she’s ever done was done because she knows the millennial white women demographic better than any brand/artist/anything has ever known a demographic. Either she’s a decent enough person for a billionaire or she’s the greatest PR genius of modern times. I’m not entirely sold it’s not the latter.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have any more political leaders who benefit in a big way from not raising taxes on the top 0.001%… because we need to raise them drastically as soon as humanly possible. I’ve posted before that almost every problem in the United States is fundamentally a tax issue. I fully stand by that.

1 Like

Ronald Reagan would like to let you know that ship has already left port.

“Asteroid sample returns to Earth after a 3.86-billion-mile journey“

Meanwhile

People forget how unbelievably shallow celebrities are, even the good ones. When Woody Harrelson went full COVID truther/RFK Jr. fan, I was only a little surprised.

I think we’re at least a decade away from this being possible.

imo

2 Likes

Nah Taylor Swift is pretty obviously a decent person. When she spoke out against Marsha Blackburn it was not at all obvious it wouldn’t tank her career. She was at that time still mostly a country artist and there was real risk in doing what she did.

4 Likes

Ideally we’d have the death penalty for vampire squids defacing famous American brands that produce great products, but in reality it’s just business as usual.

The move to cut what sources say were possibly more than half the existing jobs, including most of the production positions, came three months after the international corporation InMusic bought the company. Founded by inventor and sound engineer Bob Moog almost 50 years ago, Moog’s instruments have been played by the likes of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. All of its synthesizers were made in Asheville.

1 Like

Here’s Roger Linn (bona fide American genius) talking about the same asshole CEO of inMusic that recently took control of Moog:

I mostly agree that it’s improbable that she’s a piece of shit. I give Taylor Swift a ton of credit for being simply the best person at reading her demo who ever existed though… and that includes knowing where the good risks to take are… and getting out early enough to convince you it isn’t cynical was a great move for her long term ability to operate. So was giving out six figure bonuses to everyone who worked on the last tour.

I agree with her and if I was in her spot and being entirely amoral I’d make the same moves. Getting on the right side of labor in your early 30’s in 2023? Brilliant move. Same kind of move as coming out against Blackburn when she did.

I think she’s a decent person, but I also think she’s really really smart and at the absolute edge of where the wind is blowing at any given time. I’m sure there was some luck involved in her becoming the biggest pop star in the world but she’s made so many correct moves in a row it’s a bit like claiming Warren Buffett is a fluke at this point.

The only actual career criticism I have is that it’s not a perfect game because she’s objectively terrible at picking which songs on her albums should be singles. Definitely worse than random.

Examples? I’m not that familiar with her discography but her popular songs mostly make me go “yeah, makes sense”.

(Is this maybe even something for the Musical Hot Take Thread?)

If you listen to any of her albums there are generally 3-5 songs better than any of the singles from that album on that album. The most egregious example is probably Me! from Lover, but that’s just the worst one it remains at least sort of true for every album except maybe folklore and evermore… and there it’s just every track being pretty similar in terms of quality.

Once more for the record this is the music that is playing in my car any time my wife is in it. I like Taylor Swift but my level of knowledge about the subject is mostly an artifact of celebrating my 15th anniversary with a Swifty last month.

Sure, sure, of course.

1 Like

taylor swift lived through multiple years of the trump presidency before breaking her political “silence” policy, she can go fk herself, and her shitty music while she’s at it

1 Like