Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Went to SF this summer, and was told basically just stay out of the tenderloin. Never felt unsafe while there and found the locals to be really friendly too.

Yeah a lot of people talk about the tenderloin as if it’s one of those mythical “no-go zones”

(It’s not)

On a block by block basis? Would be some pretty impressive zoomed in GIS type data to demonstrate that.

Obviously expensive cities have lot of homeless folks but I’m talking about the block by block crime rates within those cities

Chinatown must-go zone though. I could have an amazing weekend in SF and never leave Chinatown.

1 Like

Wife just got back from a vacation in SF. Some right wing family members were acting like she was headed off to fight in a war before she left.

WTF cnn telling me Bidens dog had bitten 11 people??? That’s insane

1 Like

and it’s not even a pitbull!

this is a ticking timebomb https://www.nirsonline.org/reports/genx/

bottom half of earners have less than a few thousand dollars in savings. we’re all working til we die.

I guess I was slightly Newsom skeptical before, but now he’s making the rounds, I’m upgrading that slightly to moderately, that I am moderately skeptical that Newsom is the answer to anything. I suppose if he makes something of the DeSanctimonious debate I could change my mind but meh, unimpressed.

Maybe SF is unique but like, the parts of the city that people are complaining about (the Tenderloin, downtown) are not the places where murders are happening. I think there’s an important distinction to be made between places that are actually dangerous, versus the places that drive right-wingers insane. The latter places have probably ~zero correlation with actual danger or violence, but rather make their authoritarian lizard brains go bonkers because it breaks them to see the law being violated (whether that’s someone shooting up drugs or taking toothpaste from a CVS) without cops running in, guns drawn, to fix the lawlessness.

I don’t think conservatives care at all about the parts of the cities you’re talking about. Like, they’ve never ever given a shit about crime in Black or Hispanic neighborhoods, what’s shocking to them about SF or downtown LA to them is that you can be a tourist or an office worker and see poverty and (low-level) crime.

1 Like

Specifically retirement savings, but also GenX, which doesn’t exactly have a ton of time left. Youngest are 43, oldest are 58.

The median GenX household has $40K saved for retirement.

Top quartile of earners has a median of $71,900 in retirement accounts… So that should mean 87.5% of Gen Xers have less than $71,900 saved for retirement. Switch to households and it’s 87.5% have less than $132,273.

1 Like

he’s a well polished turd i’ll say it til i go hoarse

lol I hope she loses, she sucks

Her idea is lol stupid obviously. That said, I’m not sure that forced treatment of the mentally ill homeless population is necessarily incorrect (another initiative discussed in the article). The status quo of letting people die on the streets certainly doesn’t seem to be the correct play to me.

https://text.npr.org/1200105467

cool, gay/trans people will be able to have kids with genetic material from both parents soon-ish. This tech is crazy. I’m excited how much the right wing hard liners and elon dickriders are gonna freak out about this.

Guessing elon’s gonna do an about face from this “we need more people” thing he’s been on.

Man, I dunno. Even putting aside the ethical issues like designer babies should this thing ever pan out, there are a lot of pitfalls along the lines of mammalian cloning here that could be pretty ugly. The cloning experiments created a lot more nightmares than viable clones.

it is kind of too late though

you’re right, the ethics issues are huge, but so are the incentives, and it’s an inevitability - Kind of a consequence of where we’ve brought ourselves, so now we’re gonna have to deal with it.

designer baby? I kinda dont care. Who does that actually hurt?

It could turn into a genetic arms race.

There was a Star Trek TNG episode about this I think.

Copiumish but I caught some chunks of Biden’s speech tonight, seemed like 2020 era Biden to me, trips over too many words, modulates his voice to a whisper weirdly and then gets too loud, relies too much on repeating certain sentences, but like far from total cognitive depletion. I could live with this level of Sleepy going into next year, but I guess others can’t.