Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Just learned that Louis Dejoy is still in charge of the USPS (and is still hell-bent on destroying it in the name of “austerity“). Lol Dems

Wow I can’t believe the raving Libertarian dipshit was actually just a fascist taking advantage of gullible marks. Never seen anything like that before.

I said oof out loud reading this, (kindly nsfw)

https://twitter.com/Palle_Hoffstein/status/1739743546381570153

“Scheming”!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1742244697631039945

The media ran with a fake scandal pushed by perhaps the single most obvious bad faith conservative operator on the planet and got Harvard’s president ousted so he can fundraise off of it

Yes but how many pageviews did they get?

Whelp, that’s why she’s voting for Trump…

Yeah this is pathetic all around. Given the conservative headhunting of academic institutions university presidents probably need to have some sort of “statute of limitations” against accusations of long ago academic wrongdoing put in their contracts.

And of course the standards for right wing assholes are non existent. Alan Dershowitz absolutely had sex with children and is still employed by Harvard.

1 Like

Are you sure? I thought he stopped teaching at Harvard years ago.

Professor Emeritus is still official standing with the university, even if he doesn’t have teaching responsibilities

You count that as “employed”?

I am not sure how much money he may or may not be making from them, but professors emeriti frequently maintain offices and have access to the facilities, and at the very least the title is recognition that he is in good standing with the university.

1 Like

Google says that the “Professors Emeritus” draw a salary, so I’m going with “yes.”

It looks like Harvard does pay their Emeriti: A. Privileges for Professors Emeriti | FAS Appointment and Promotion Handbook

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has some sort of affiliation with them and I agree with Riverman that Harvard should end that for the reasons he gave. However, I’m doubtful that Harvard has sent him a W-2 in years.

I think what jman has cited at least meets a preponderance standard unless you have something contrary.

Based on that link it sounds like they pay them only if they actually do something (e.g. teach).

Here is what his link says:

Are you referring to something else in there?

He’s referring to section 8 in the link I posted, which I’ve now read 4 times and still can’t make heads or tails of, but which seems to indicate some kind of honorarium is paid for being an emeriti. This appears to be separate and apart from what you are referring to in section 1. But again, the whole thing is very poorly written so :person_shrugging: