Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

And we should be taxing businesses for using them to fund a GBI for displaced workers.

3 Likes

https://x.com/Strandjunker/status/1733169729617944673?s=20

1 Like

google got absolutely wrecked in this epic lawsuit. this is a really big deal and has ramifications beyond what even smart knowledgeable people can predict right now.

I wouldnt want to be google right now. I think the hammer might be starting to fall. but this ruling isn’t necessarily great for consumers either.

1 Like

What makes you say so? I’d assume as a default beating up on monopolies with antitrust lawsuits is generally a good.

Well, I’m really just talking out of my ass a little here, but I think this could open the door to force companies like apple to allow side-loading apps, which will result in every single major tech company having their own “installer” for their platforms on smartphones, which will be riddled with the tracking/gross privacy invasion stuff that apple app store has been kind of acting as a gatekeeper for a while now. those days seem numbered for sure after this.

epic is also a multi billion company here, they’re just trying to get a bigger slice, it doesn’t seem like that will translate into better experiences for consumers to me, it never does.

I also think it undermines something I believe is some right software platforms have to dictate what software runs on them and how. ofc google abused the fuck out of that and now we’re here.

Epic’s “game store” isn’t going to be cheaper than Google’s and they have no incentive to be as vigilant towards malware as Google is. (I assume they are similar to Apple in checking for harmful software in their store). This seems like it means every software company can have their own stores and payment systems… what could go wrong?

1 Like

How is that different than the old days when companies sold software on floppies? (Not being cute, legitimately curious).

It’s much easier to do now than then, which is why the 30% Google and Apple take are so hard to swallow for a lot of developers. The problem is that your phone isn’t quite the same platform that your general purpose PC is, so there is more risk of letting just anyone put software on it. Someone shoulder surfing your phone’s password is enough for them to take total control of your Apple or Google accounts and lock you out of them forever. Imagine what damage a virus could do.

In the end though it’s probably just going to make our phones slightly shittier to use like everything else having to do with computers.

2 Likes

https://x.com/sahilkapur/status/1734670538079895835?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

They going to re-draw it worse for Ds I bet

Sweet, now the Republicans will only have 55 seat majority after the ‘24 elections instead of a 60 seat majority.

You guys discussing the wrong thing here, the important question to answer is wtf is this cup from the judge? This some silver chalice required by 200 year old law that they put a plastic insert into or something?

Hell yeah that’s like a classy pimp cup.

1 Like

This thread goes hard

https://x.com/HeerJeet/status/1735712821126541525?s=20

I didn’t realize Milei was gonna so fascist so quickly, yikes

300px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD

Paging Borodog

2 Likes

Yeah if you click into that thread you can relive 2+2 circa 2007 fights

Ooh, my first go-round as a mod. Good times. I tried to make an AC containment thread. It did not go well.

1 Like