Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

(gift link from bsky)

LAT’s billionaire owner decided to intervene on behalf of his friend, bringing up all kinds of bad looks:

It’s good to be the king.

2 Likes

So he’s saying that the Presidency is occupied by Trader Joes?

Holy shit

1 this is true
2 I thought she died decades ago.

https://x.com/georgetakei/status/1752088086010286288?s=46

2 Likes

Haven’t read article yet but this a pretty stark graph of SF suddenly breaking away from national overdose trends

Does that correspond with when SF decriminalized? (It looks like the spike predates covid).

Yeah haven’t read more than first paragraphs but the article is a compare/contrast of Portugal model vs SF

What Portugal did: Decriminalization is widely misunderstood; it’s not full legalization, but removes criminal penalties for small amounts of drug possession. In 2000, Portugal passed a law that decriminalized all drugs, including heroin and cocaine. But it kept some penalties, like fines and license suspensions, to incentivize people to get addiction treatment and deter outdoor public drug use. If police officers catch someone using drugs, they can, and often do, still cite them.

Along with decriminalization, Portugal also invested in addiction treatment and created a system that tries to push people to seek help for addiction. “Decriminalization by itself means nothing if you have nothing else to offer,” João Goulão, the architect of Portugal’s system, told me.

1 Like

Right wing media rots another brain- or more likely gave mental illness a gruesome outlet.

• Mohn referred to himself as a militia leader, called his father a traitor to the country for being a federal employee for 20 years

1 Like
1 Like

A belated happy February 3th to all who celebrate

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1754452346287910952?s=19

I feel like there’s probably an urban dictionary page for “rusty shaft”, but I’m not going to look it up.

Good article that also speaks to some of the broader problems with modern journalism:

and they lived happily ever after

1 Like

They left out the end, “After Amazing Adjudication takes its cut and ADT takes its cut, Marie gets 10 cents on the dollar back.”

ADT and Ring resolving their conflict.