Programming or How to Exit Vi Without Rebooting

I just do the javascript

might give some hints as to why. I’ll go look at my cloudflare stuff tonight and ask my hacker friend a few q’s. no way we get outsmarted by truth, lol

Yeah I looked this up too and came across similar results (if not this exact one) suggesting the main difference would be the handling of redirects, but I don’t think that’s in play here. I tried one of the solutions for disabling redirect following in Go anyway and it didn’t change anything.

@TheDudeAbides had some good advice offline to try messing with TLS stuff - it seems like forcing TLS 1.2 (instead of 1.3) fixes both of these problems:

• requests thru proxy behaving differently on AWS versus locally, and
  • curl and Go having different results locally

I guess TLS 1.3 makes it easier for Cloudflare to block stuff? idk :person_shrugging:

1 Like

1 Like

just realized i saved the trump bot though :harold:

1 Like

:harold:

1 Like

In TLS 1.2 and earlier versions, the use of ciphers with cryptographic weaknesses had posed potential security vulnerabilities. TLS 1.3 includes support only for algorithms that currently have no known vulnerabilities, including any that do not support Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) .

with his symptoms the only thing that made sense was the different machines were using a different cipher suite - I’m still learning security stuff but I read recently sites can identify clients by the particular algorithm they use to make the tls handshake. they’re using cloudflare proxy, so who knows how they have that configured.

usually you specify in a proxy config the minimum tls version youre happy with. it’d be weird to block 1.3 but maybe there’s something else going on there.

:heart: O’Reilly covers

4 Likes

Anybody still have an OReilly older than this 1997 classic? I probably had a dozen over the years but held on to this one just for nostalgia.

“Quick Reference” = 610 pages!

4 Likes

i never owned it, but i’m almost certain that was the first and last java book i ever flipped through in its entirety

2 Likes

I purged all my tech books a few moves ago but I loved O’Reilly books. I used to spend money on them thinking it would motivate me to actually read them. That’s the kind of logic that has you throwing away 3 linear feet of Perl books you’ll never read and the same with Windows Programming books…

1 Like

I have a purple Perl from the early nineties. :harold:

2 Likes

I don’t know where else to ask this so I’m putting it here -

I have a weird problem that’s entirely of my own making and something I’ve been putting off for many years may be coming to bite me in the ass.

The university I went to has a really good google account system. When I was in school ~10 years ago a lot of my life was just getting off the ground and I used my student email address as my primary email address for lots of stuff I set up during that time. after I graduated, so much stuff was set up with this email, and after checking with the IT department about alumni accounts, they said I could continue using the account as long as I renewed via a link/confirmation on the school site every year, so I just continued to use it. I’ve not yet failed to do this and it stresses me out every year that I’ll forget.

anyway I knew this couldn’t just last forever because policies change or inevitably they may lose their contract with google or whatever and I’d lose it, in which case I’d be a little fucked - I don’t even know everything that’s tied to this email address. in the last 1-3 years I’ve started attempting to move off of it but it’s not going well.

anyway sure enough this year something’s changing. I didnt get my usual reminder this year so I went and looked and there’s major policy changes. the language on the site is not entirely clear to me whether as an alumni they will maintain access to my account, thanks to some dumbass policy google is placing on their storage limits.

my q is - is there an intelligent way to find every account I have tied to this email? I tried searching, but gmail search is awful. I estimate I have about year to get off this email.

I know migrating email off of Gmail is possible, I spent two years supporting customers of a company that did it, but they did it generally for MS service providers who would do IT work for small companies. It would be from Gmail to Office 365, which may not be very attractive to you but is something. You could also look into manually downloading all your email to a local system, which may make it easier to search and would at least be in your control. If you save logins in your browser you should be able to go through your auto-logins in your browser and see which accounts have that address for the user name. I don’t know if you can export that into a spreadsheet to make it easier though.

You seem like a person that spends too much time and energy worrying about stuff, especially minor stuff, and works hard trying to prevent anything from going wrong. I can definitely relate to this as I share this affliction to a pretty severe degree.

One thing that helps me is to realize that other people don’t live this way. They’re careless, reckless, and impulsive, and yet somehow manage to survive in spite of it all. Moreover, the systems of the world have to be set up to be able to handle the median person’s recklessness and stupidity, and those systems will work fine for people like us whenever we happen to need them.

So what’s going to happen if this email fails? There will be some disruptions. And that’s ok. You’ll notice the disruption (otherwise it’s not a disruption!), and you’ll take steps to resolve it. It might be annoying but the chance of anything turning into a major problem is vanishingly small. The “worst case scenario” isn’t that bad so stop worrying about it so much.

I guess if you really want to be proactive, you could track every online interaction you have over the next few months and try to mitigate any disruption. Anything you don’t touch in that timeframe is unlikely to be a major disruption if it fails. Good luck.

sure i understand your point but I’ve had some pretty fantastic fuck ups on moron shit way too many times

this account is a little unique, I’ve taken steps to mitigate this, but it used to be the core email account that everything backed up to, recovery, email on other accounts, etc.

like for instance, I used to have a deadman switch on this account and if I lost access for 90 days or more, I assumed I would be dead or something horrible happened, so I had all this automation that fires out a bunch of stuff I really wouldnt want to have happen if I was still alive

just random shit like that. like just this week I found a major investment account I forgot about tied to this email.

kerowo, good ideas, thanks

1 Like

Use google takeout today to get every piece of data google has for the account. How to Download Your Google Data | Google Takeout | Avast

1 Like