Programming or How to Exit Vi Without Rebooting

I just learned that you can put a tfoot html parent section above the tbody html and it still renders in the way you’d expect. Mind fucking blown.

can you just have users define those

Sounds interesting, would be fun to see how bots do picking up the new rules…

Yeah I think def one of the advantages is that players would not be able to bot/would be more sure to have a real game against a human. For um… a few months.

Anyone know off the tip of their head how to use AWS CLI to get a list of versions out of an S3 bucket?

aws s3api list-object-versions bucket— bucket-name —prefix subfolder/prefix

1 Like

We’ve been in a 4 day outage (aws outage today was kinda hilarious on top of that) and it never ceases to amaze me in my career during these kinds of events how much crazy important stuff inevitably lies on top of a brittle hacky bash or python script.

1 Like

not strictly programming related but this audience will appreciate it more than normies

2 Likes

oh man I dont know whether to feel old or officially “senior” but I just saw an ancient, ancient java frameworks joke from like, 2005, and almost all of the comments didn’t understand what it was talking about.

about to get a new taplop, the macbook air is pretty significantly smaller/lighter than the 14" MBP but will I regret getting a M2 instead of M2 pro???

I like big laptops so I have different considerations but I feel like CPU power is overabundant in general these days, I wouldn’t ever worry I’m not getting enough power in that department.

yeah that’s kind of what I’m thinking as well, I have a shitty i5 and even that is basically never drowning, the fan is loud as hell but it’s always pretty snappy

What is your primary use case? My M2 pro Mac book is doing great and is our standard for “developers” I don’t do much development, but do have about 100 chrome tabs open most of the time without any lag. If you aren’t doing sustained heavy load work like video editing, you’ll probably be alright with a reg M2.

Oh, make sure the chip you gets supports the number of monitors you want to use, that is one of the bigger differences between chip sets now.

yeah I do shit in a web browser and I ssh to EC2 instances

I basically never like, compile shit locally. Very occasionally might fire up docker desktop and build something but it’s so rare that I don’t really care about performance in that case

ugh

currently I have a big (34"?) curved monitor and an old apple thunderbolt display that are both connected to a thunderbolt dock, so I have one cable to the laptop. I would assume the M2 can support at least this? I keep telling myself I am going to junk both of those displays and just get like a 42" 4k TV but I haven’t done that yet.

The right most screens are attached to the M2 Pro and it does pretty well, pain in the ass to get them connected after going to the office though. According to the Google, an M2 Mac Pro can support 3 external monitors plus itself.

(none of the passwords in this photo are still active)

1 Like

show keyboard plz

google seems to imply that a M2 macbook air can only support 1 display but might be able to do more with some sort of weird “displaylink” driver + some displayport dongle? Seems like a fucking ripoff

Yeah, that’s one of the differentiators between a Pro laptop and an Air laptop; number of supported screens. Airs aren’t for people using lots of screens I guess…

The keyboard is from Launch Configurable Keyboard - System76, System76 is a company that makes Linux first hardware that is all open source (as much as possible), I like to support them so got one of their ridiculously expensive keyboards. Everything else in the picture is Apple hardware (except for the monitors).