RIP Thread: Burn in Hell Lou Dobbs

Yea the democratic establishment does NOT want porter to have that seat

1 Like

I forget exactly how it played out, but I swear, a little while back it was all but guaranteed difi was going to step down. Katie porter then announced immediately she was running for the seat, then all of a sudden it was like oh, nevermind, she’s gonna stay.

The redistricting in 47th felt a bit shady. It completely destroyed her district where she was crushing, and brought in a lot of wealthy, coastal voters who lean purple. Then (from my pov anyway) gave her very little support in a race she should’ve crushed against a total clown, in a district where rouda had already crushed and was much less popular.

Anyway just lol california things. This is what happens in 1 party states. infighting

Frankly, she doesn’t care what you think at this point. The criticism is much more warranted when she’s alive and actively, shall we say, misbehaving. After death, it’s generally polite to reflect on the best things.

I think this utilitarian sort of argument (the person whose behavior you want to change is gone, so it no longer matters) misses the mark here. People want to have nice warm fuzzy feelings about how they’ll be remembered after they die, and they might make inferences about how they’ll be remembered by looking around at how we remember other people who did similar things to them.

When people criticize Obama or (Bill) Clinton for accepting huge speaking fees after leaving office, it is not the future behavior of Barack Obama or Bill Clinton they are concerned about.

3 Likes

I refer you to my second sentence that you omitted.

No, I want the next person who is thinking about going that route to remember what happened when Feinstein died, and that people didn’t give her a pass and instead contextualized all of her accomplishments with, “Yeah, but…”

And I don’t consider it generally polite to hold onto power until you’re literally too old and in too much decline to do the job, while standing in the way of progress and protecting the status quo. So I don’t think we have to be generally polite in reflecting on her life.

If I were writing an obituary or doing a package on her life for tv news, I’d contrast the Dianne Feinstein of the first two-thirds of her national career with the last third. She was progressive, until she was for stopping progress. She was one of only five Democrats to vote against John Roberts, showing great prescience in citing concerns over abortion rights… then she stood up and hugged Lindsey Graham and congratulated him on a great hearing as they rammed through Amy Coney Barrett to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

3 Likes

Yeah letting people who ruined their own legacy have it posthumously is a terrible idea. Sends the living people who care about their legacy the wrong message.

:harold:

Jesus that’s random.

He had struggled with substance and alcohol abuse. That might have done a number on his body.

Yeah, just read that he drowned in a hot tub. I guess that would track with him being high or drunk.

or heart attack

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Who died?

Lol, based on this thread I guessed Kissinger and was right.

1 Like

Let’s just say Death finally won the claw machine in post 2

Kissinger, one of two people I would only post drudgesiren.gif

Wow Rolling Stone with quite the headline

https://x.com/rollingstone/status/1730042573043974603?s=46&t=ECIc-ET7JxxiLXr8SgrQ7Q

5 Likes