Stocks Thread (A/K/A STONKS THREAD)

How is Tesla only down 6% on an absolute disaster of an earnings release. $550B market cap GTFO

Like, if deliveries are down because of fires and pirates, why are they discounting so heavily?

1 Like

Earnings are April 23, this was just the deliveries. Yeah it’s clearly not because of fires etc, they produced more cars than they sold and they have a shitload of cars sitting in inventory. Demand for Teslas is rightfully down and there’s tough competition now. Tesla offered big incentives for people to buy a car before April 1, yet still this is the result. There’s always gonna be some excuse and they’ll always try to move the goalposts to the next quarter, next FSD Beta release etc.

You’re obv not gonna make sense of a TSLA chart. Bad news happens, market reacts, then soon after with no more news (or even some more bad news), the price creeps back to its starting point as though the bad news never happened.

Way more and better competition coming into the space, and the cult of personality head of your company has made himself toxic to a large percentage of your potential customer base. Waiting for the Tesla pivot to all gasoline super polluting vehicles to properly capture Elon’s new fanboys.

This is the exact opposite of MRNA the last couple years. Good news happens, market reacts, then soon after for no apparent reason the price creeps back down.

You’ve got a cult-like following betting on Musk, and a cult-like group betting against (or refusing to bet on) companies that made COVID vaccines. Eventually the valuations will make sense, but it could take a long time to shake the cult-like investors.

So a couple of Truth Social co-founders are being sued by Donald Trump lolllllll

:leolol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-02/trump-sues-co-founders-of-truth-social-media-company-over-shares

Oh hell yeah

https://x.com/amitisinvesting/status/1775518932088045748?s=20

what is with her

So there were a bunch of guys who had looked like hedge fund geniuses for years in the run up to the great recession of 2008… who it turned out had just basically put all their chips on a specific number (financial stocks) and won the last two spins.

Cathie Woods is the same story but for splashy/popular tech stocks and despite having already had at least one near death experience with the freight train of reality she has opted to double/triple/whatever down until it eventually ends her career as a pretend investment prophet.

What’s wrong about that tweet is that CNBC is giving her coverage in 2024. She’s literally just a tech stock promoter. Listening to her about what the valuation of Tesla is is like asking a life insurance salesperson if life insurance is a good idea for you. You already know what they’re going to say and you already know it’s going to be stupid at best and misleading at worst.

The most important question is why is CNBC giving Cathie air time or asking her what she thinks. I think the answer to that question is that every time there’s a slow news day you can call Cathie and ask her a question and she will, because that’s her job, say some crazy number that will make for half decent clickbait and generate some outrage engagement from a really fun mixture of misogynists and smart people who correctly think Cathie is a fraud.

She’s trying to end poor Riverman once and for all.

TSLA is a meme stock now.

Italwayshasbeen.gif

3 Likes

Levine on this today is hilarious. Trump maybe has a point? Hahahahaha

There are two categories of people who did business with DJT. People who he screwed and people who screwed him. He’s probably gotten screwed out of more money than he ever screwed other people for which is kind of hilarious when you think about it.

Think that violates the law of conservation of cash

inheritance I know but I couldn’t pass that up

Dude do you know how hard it is to end up as poor as Donald having inherited that much money?

The money fights you as you try to burn it. Hard.

does he? I mean is his argument “I didn’t think about how much I agreed to give them when I signed the deal” or is it more than that

It’s even funnier if you think about what those shares are fundamentally worth. Like, with no lockup period, they can just dump them ASAP and get a lot of money for them. But if there’s a lockup period, and the fundamentals come into play, they’re ~worthless.

I mean we’ve all seen Brewster’s Millions, am I right?

3 Likes

I did research this a bit more, it appears there are two downsides for me. The first is that your shares are not insured by the SIPC while they’re lent out, so if your broker goes under you may lose them - but they do post some (possibly a lot of?) collateral so that mitigates that risk. The other is that you lose the voting rights for the shares - they go to the person borrowing them, and then on to whoever buys them from the short seller.

The other big issue, which won’t affect me, is for non tax advantaged accounts. If you have a qualified dividend stock, you risk getting payments in lieu of dividends, which don’t get long-term cap gains treatment. According to Bogleheads, IB tries to get the shares back for the dividend date, and as of several years ago two posters said they were about 60% successful which meant the tax implications made the lending not worth it.

On a related note, brokers trying to acquire shares of dividend stocks around the record date should create the potential for market inefficiencies right? Because their efficient price factors in customer satisfaction, keeping participation in their share lending program high, and their profits off the share lending program. Presumably others would be set up to take the other side of the trade to harvest the inefficiency, but maybe not on small caps.

1 Like

Boomers love yield (and immediate taxation at ordinary income rates).

1 Like