Stocks Thread (A/K/A STONKS THREAD)

Yeah this seems like something the average person would want to avoid in a regular account, but good in an IRA. The collateral is 100% or greater of the value at close each day of the loaned securities. So the risk you’re taking is that a) your broker defaults and b) on the day your broker defaults, your lent shares went up.

In theory, if you wanted to do this with a regular account, you could open a second account with your brokerage and put all the qualified dividend stocks in that account and turn it off, while keeping other equities in another account that has it turned on.

Yeah it’s probably not wise for everyone. Currently I’m not an investor, just a trader, so idgaf about dividends or voting and I never get the long-term tax rate anyway. As for my broker (IB) abruptly going under, maybe I’d fear that some if I had more capital at stake or were lending stocks with tiny fee rates.

1 Like

Yup, all makes sense to me. And even if they go under, which seems extremely unlikely, your only risk is the amount your stock goes up in a 24-48 hour period before the collateral has to be posted.

Inflation higher than expected again, pause in May at 97%, cuts aren’t over 50% on FedWatch til September.

FedWatch pricing a 0.0% chance of hikes at any point this year which is IMO obviously wrong. Inflation is up over the last nine or 10 months, they may just need more hikes. Never mind the geopolitical inflationary risks.

I don’t think hikes are likely but they sure as shit shouldn’t be 0.0%.

$DJT getting killed is pretty lol.

DJT printing more shares is incredibly funny. The wildly unsubtle way he just blatantly scams people never doesn’t amuse me… mostly because everyone on planet earth should know better and see him coming from a thousand miles away.

Imagine getting scammed by DJT for meaningful money in 2024 lol. I’m sorry but as annoyed as I am about Donald getting it (and soon wasting it don’t worry) these people losing their money isn’t a bad thing at all. Fuck 'em.

Ehhhh. It’s being slightly misrepresented. SPAC IPO units usually come with warrants. Most of these shares are from warrant exercise and others were known before the merger completed. This isn’t specific to DJT - it’s just bog standard SPAC scam. They have to file to register the shares.

Most times they just tank and warrants are worth nothing so this shit doesn’t happen.

Is DoorDash looking to artificially pump up number of orders lately? I’m getting 15 dollar off coupon weekly (kids sports day) and they gotta be hemorrhaging cash on those orders

They’ve pushed fees really high and their order volume is probably cratering as a result. I’ve stopped getting Doordash and Ubereats because they had gotten out of hand with the markups. I’m not going to pay you 17 dollars for a burrito that’s 11 dollars if I order pickup… and then pay 5-6 bucks in fees and a tip for the driver. I’m just going to drive to the place and get takeout face to face. When it cost ~10 bucks more to have it delivered including tip that was a very different value proposition. Now it’s more like 6 per entree (and 1-2 per appetizer, drinks routinely marked up by 100% if you’re lazy enough to need to order those), and 5-6 bucks in fees, and a tip and that ends up being 20+ dollars a lot of the time.

It was a stupid luxury at 10 bucks an order and hard to justify… more than doubling the price was what it took to make me quit and my amex balance every month definitely does appreciate it.

It’s actually kind of crazy how much we cut our spending back this year on stuff like restaurants. Can’t have been good for the local economy, but now we never go to chains so everything is basically direct pickup from local restaurants when we do it. IDK seems sustainable.

For people wondering about the frequencies here we went from cooking at home 3-4 nights a week and getting uber eats/doordash the other 3 to getting takeout on the weekends basically. Saving an embarrassing amount of money lol.

I’ve found Uber eats totally unusable, like it literally never comes remotely close to on time, lifetime ban.

I’ve begrudgingly used door dash on a few occasions when I’ve been desperate and it seems to at least be reliable on delivery time though the fees are completely outrageous.

I feel incredibly scummy any time I get food delivery.

I tip well or I wouldn’t be able to self justify it lol. Sometimes you just don’t want to deal with anymore people. The busier I am at work the lower my social battery is by nighttime. When my wife was still working full time as a nurse we were getting a lot more delivery just because we’d both be wiped clean out most of the time lol. Once you open the door to using it a lot it becomes very tempting to just push buttons to get food instead of doing anything else to get it.

You notice the expense when you hardly ever do it because it’s novel and new. When you do it 1-3 nights a week it all blends together and if you can actually afford it it’s pretty habit forming.

That being said yeah I miss it a lot less than you would think. They just kept enshitifying it and even back in 2017 when the apps were still newish they were already kinda shitty lol.

I’m super confused on the fees though. I thought they charged fees and also increased price of all items but it seems super random.

We have the 99/yr (I think) membership for free from credit card.

Today 2 items matched the in restaurant price, 2 items cost 8% more each. Subtotal was 70 dollars, fees (w membership) were 3.50 total and then had the weekly 15 dollar off coupon. So the pre tip price was lower than in store and best I can tell the 15 coupons have been around for months of me doing 1x a week

Yeah, any Joe getting whatever they are in the mood for $10 from wherever was/is obviously unsustainable. If you want someone else to cook your food and deliver it to your door, it’s got to be from a pizza or mediocre Chinese place pumping food out at volume with their own delivery operation, the way God intended.

Having to do these type of calculations just to know if I’m getting a good deal on my dinner, it just seems like a bad way to live

O yeah for sure wouldn’t be using DoorDash if was concerned if I was getting a good deal. Was wondering from a stonk standpoint if they were having to inflate their # of deliveries all of a sudden like they shook about next earnings or something

1 Like

Yahoo is tripping - it’s actual down 67% in the last month.

:catjam:

1 Like

It does tilt me when people cover this story as ‘Trump is losing billions in net worth’ when the real story is the other bank account. The one that contains the proceeds of having sold those worthless slips of paper for real money to his base.

The longer this meme stock bullshit goes on the more sure I am it shouldn’t be legal. At this point I’m in favor of whatever regulations are required to prevent normies from getting fleeced by essentially scammers that are good at marketing.

Pump and dump is illegal, I think that’s enough.

It’s clearly pretty hard to make cases stick for stock promotion.

It’s not anymore. They just threw out a case against Atlas trading. Someone in their Discord flipped and gave the SEC chat logs where they explicity planned and coordinated entries and exits… cut and dry case and they chucked it.

These guys made like 100m combined or something, and would literally tweet I’M LOADING THE BOAT! as they sold. They’re back at it too… look at KAVL. That’s another Atlas special they loaded up on right after their case got tossed.